How to start my 2mth on a schedule?

I keep hearing that babies need to be on schedules. Well I'm a first time mom and my little guy just wakes and sleeps when he wants and it seems to change all the time. I think its time to do the schedule thing but I don't know where to start. I thought with newborns you were supposed to let them sleep when tired and awake when not. So how do I go from that to some kind of schedule? and how do I plan a schedule? Should he be sleeping thru the night? I'm lost, any suggestions?

Adrienne1025

Asked by Adrienne1025 at 1:04 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you want to make yourself nuts...go ahead and try to get a 2 month old infant on a schedule! LOL I tried...and failed miserably.

I waited until we were working meals into the equation and that's when I started working on a routine....breakfast at a certain time...then a morning nap and snack when needed...lunch at a certain time...then afternoon nap and snack when needed....supper at a certain time....snack and bedtime later when he set his time.

This started at about 5 months....Once I had the meals set, the rest kind of fell into place.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:04 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• boy, when my first baby was born, 25 years ago, an aunt asked "what kind of schedule do you have her on?" geez, she eats when she's hungry, sleeps when she's tired. seems good. her schedule... demand. babies don't need a schedule. every child is different. my biggest advice, be patient and be flexible. when the baby's asleep, don't tiptoe around, make your normal noise, or he'll wake anytime it's not silent. don't delay trips to the market or whenever because the baby needs to sleep. they're remarkable. he'll adapt. sleeping thru the night sometimes takes a VERY LONG time. don't worry, you'll both be fine.good luck! vicki, mother of 4 and a preschool teacher.
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 1:17 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I was a first time mom also, (3 years ago). I had all the same questions you did.
    With my child I did not put him on a schedule til he was almost 4-5 months old. I just made sure at night that we did not have a lot of lights on and during the day i made sure that it was bright.
    I just pretty much fed him when hungry and let him sleep when tired.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Schedules are for buses, not for babies. No need for a schedule. Really. You can set ROUTINES which are breakable. But there's no need to put the baby on a schedule. They're smarter than wwe are about how much they need to eat and sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:20 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I've given up trying to put my 4, almost 5 month old on a schedule. Each day is so different. Sometimes he'll want to eat every 2 hours, sometimes its every 4. Some days he'll only take one or two 20 minute naps and other days he'll sleep for 3-4 hours during the dame. Somtimes he sleeps thru the night, sometimes he wakes up a few times! I can't feed him when he's not hungry or keep him awake when he's tired just cuz it's not his "scheduled nap time". I agree with the routine though, especially at night.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:17 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I meant day** I don't know where I got dame from lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:18 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• What you're doing is perfect.
    There is no need for a schedule- simply have a routine. (You'll probably find you have one)..
    Schedules pay no attention to the child's needs, or wants, and rely entirely upon what the clock says.. Simply know your child (as it sounds you do), and you won't ever go wrong. There is no need to have the clock dictate what your child should be doing or feeling.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:56 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• my son is on a schedule that he gets up at 5am about the time i get up for work.. i change his diaper and clothes then feed him.. then i get ready and drop him off at daycare... but after that he just gets fed every four hrs. he is awake for a hour then takes a 1 to 1 1/2 hour nap then a wake usually till he is fed again. sometimes it changes from daycare to home but he is really content with it. he sleep thru the nite when he was a month to a month and a half old. when he fusses in the nite we just stick binky in and he goes back to sleep. he is 12 weeks now and still on that scheduale. i hope this helps.
    Levink_08

Answer by Levink_08 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You don't. A 2 month old doesn't need a schedule.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 28, 2008