can my manager do this?

I recently started working for a credit union, as a bank teller. Well the way the company works is they hire you through a temp agency for 3months, then if you have not messed up during that time, they hire you full time. We get our pay checks through the temp agency. Last month my check got lost and I did not get it for 2weeks. Now my manager is saying I have to give them my bank account info, and that they will no longer send me checks, they have to direct deposit them, so they are not lost. Well I do not want that. I do not give out my info like that to anyone for anything. I have seen her turn in other employees info, and she faxes the bank info to the company and leaves the papers on the fax machine-ANYONE can get that info! Now she is telling me that I will not get paid until she gets my info. I talked to the head of the credit union and he just said that I needed to work it out with this lady. Is this legal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Money & Work

• It doesn't sound like it is, but I can't say for sure. I'd check with your state Department of Labor or the Better Business Bureau.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• No, it isn't. They can dictate WHEN you get paid, but that's it. Contact the labor board.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:19 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• wow. if your credit union is part of a chain, i don't see why you can't call corporate and speak to someone in the payroll department yourself, and give THEM your info. at my school, if we don't have direct deposit, the staff is paid by a visa card, loaded with the amount you've earned. funny, huh? so, go around this woman. it sounds like you have valid reasons. make sure you've shared those reasons with your boss. if possible, send him a memo or email thru work, thereby documenting the situation, your concern, and your request that he help you find a solution that will work out. ask him to contact the corporate office on your behalf in that memo. when things are in writing, people respond. he'll have to act, to cover his ass. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 1:23 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Technically, you are still employed by the Temp Agency so you need to go to them to have them intervene for you.
    If you don't want that kind of drama, then explain to the bank manager exactly what you just said to us. Be honest without getting personal. Tell him/her that you would prefer paper checks because you are worried that your personal bank information may become public knowledge from being left out in the open as is the case with other employee's personal bank information.
    They can NOT make you do direct deposit and they DO have to pay you according to their pay schedule.
    Check with your state's Labor laws.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:15 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Added thought: You can also tell the bank manager that you would prefer not to receive direct deposit at this time until you are employed full time and then it would need to be done in a confidential manner.

Your paychecks are coming from the Temp Agency - it is they who you need to deal with, not the bank manager.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:17 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I'm also a bank teller, but I was hired directly through the bank and we set up direct deposit through our individual secured server to corporate.
    However, a few of our tellers don't have checking accounts and receive a paper check. Just tell the temp agency you don't have a bank account anywhere (heck, lie and say you have bad credit or something and no bank will give you an account). They really can't argue w/ that.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:54 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• In some states it IS legal to require an employee to use direct deposit for payroll. The best way for you to find out if this is legal is to contact your states labor board and ask them. If your state does allow it, then you just tell the woman, politely, that you need to see her fax the info and then put the paperwork in your file, b/c you are very concerned about privacy and identity theft.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:56 AM on Dec. 28, 2008