How do you guys feel about..

Kids wearing leashes? I got one and want to use it but I don't want people to think I am a child abuser.
What are your opions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have one for my little guy but we haven't used it yet. It looks like a stuffed animal back pack so it's cute, but he cried when I put it on him because he wanted to carry it instead (I'm sure he'll get over it) Why would anyone call you a child abuser for getting one? It allows them the freedom of walking around without having to chase them or worrying about getting separated. It's useful, don't be afraid to use it!
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 1:40 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I swore up and down I would NEVER use one of those BUT then the day came that I had a wandering toddler. I still havent had the nerve to buy one but I promise myself that next time I go to the zoo or a crowded place I am putting one on her. She loves to walk and I dont want to run the risk of loosing her. I think its a smart idea. Better to look stupid than lose your child.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 1:44 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• i had one going the other day about this!
    I have one for my twins only uses them when i am by myself...or we are at the fair or somewhere big and very crowed.
    i love them
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I see absolutely nothing wrong with them! I bought one for my son when we took him to Disney World. He was almost 2. I sure as heck wasn't gonna just let him run loose in that big of a crowd! we only use it for large crowds of people though, not all the time. I prefer the added safety of him being attached to me even though he thinks he has freedom to run some. It helps a ton! and my son loves it! we have the puppy stuffed animal backpack one like mentioned above. He asks to wear "puppy"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I used one wiht my DD, and a woman at Walmart made a really mean comment about me treating my kids like they were dogs. Um, no, I was trying to keep my child from wandering off and being kidnapped in a crowed place, or from stepping out in traffic. You just can bee too safe nowadays, and the kids could care less.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I have used one once. I was not sure how my daughter would do in a larger city and big crowds when her and I went to Disney World. I used it in the airport until I knew that I could trust her to stay right there with me.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 2:49 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I've used them at one point or another with each of my sons. We had the backpack kind where the backpack was an animal and the tail was the leash.

Having three to watch on my own....it gave me extra sense of security.

There is NO way it is abuse to keep your kid safe.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• anon 227 - I would have told the walmart critic that "he can even sit, lay down, roll over.... he's very smart, we're thinking about putting him in a show". I hate people like that.
    give me unwanted criticism, I might just bite your nose off.
    then point out to your kids "this is what a crazy person looks like"... lol
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:00 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• If you feel the need to use it, use it. We don't have one and I wouldn't use it because my kid's not a puppy. He also knows how to behave in public & we've never had any issues of running in the parking lot or the stores. I think it gives a false sense of security because you have them at the end of your arm/leash and maybe you don't pay as much attention to their actions or other people looking at your child. My husband is also against using them.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I had a double stroller that served the same purpose ;-) Since I had 3 kids... 5, 17 months and a newborn... I couldn't chance the 17 month old getting away.

With my oldest, when he was an only child, we were all good until 3. Thought we'd really dodged the terrible 2s and had it all under control. Then he hit 3. HAHAHAHA on us!!! I'd never seen the backpacks back then and so I'd carry him to the grocery cart and strap him into one out in the parking lot. Other places we had to keep him in the umbrella stroller.

Yeah, if they'd been around (or more available) then I'd have definitely used them... and certainly by #s 2 and 3... it's really hard to keep track of everyone then!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 11:13 AM on Dec. 28, 2008