Time to move out??

My hubby and I have been living with my parents in a studio apartment type thing they have. We have been living here because we are both in college, he gets a pell grant every three months ($1500) Which is enough to pay our rent for three months. He let me look on line for an apartment and we found two, one is a studio for $300 all utilities paid, and one is a two bed room $450 a month WSG paid. We also have income taax coming up so we will have more than enought money to survive, but for some reason he still doesn't want to move...how can I show him it is time to grow up and move on?

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 2:15 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Me and my hubby live in a "basement apartment" in my mother's house, but we'd happily live elsewhere if we could afford it! (There are no places for $300 a month around here!!!)Maybe he is comfortable with the thought that if something happens that your parents would never kick you guys out. Maybe if you remind him of all the perks of having your own place he'd be more motivated to move out.
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 2:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I wouldn't use the words grow up but I get your drift. My hubby will avoid making things tough if he can help it. One of the things he dreads is moving or refinancing. Is there any way to wait until you are out of college and have jobs? Does he think you will be able to move from where you are to a house instead of an apartment? One move is so much better than two. If you find jobs, will you need to relocate your apartment? Just asking because it seems like you are feeling like your parents child instead of a grown wife and mother. It's ok to want to move if you are truthful about your own feelings. He may understand that you feel you need to have your own place to be free from you childhood in a healthy way. Try that approach with him and I hope he is understanding.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• What about sharing a home (townhouse/condo) or larger apartment with other college students, and splitting the rent/expenses? At least you would be among your peer group and not feeling as though you are living under your parents control.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:03 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• most college students dont have children, they all want to party. I have asked my brother, he is in college too, but that doesnt make it a whole lot cheaper...but money isnt the issue. We can more than afford it, he just wants to buy video games, comps (he is buying his 3RD on the 6th) and buying HUGE TVs, none of which are NEEDED. I would much rather have our own place than any of these
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• It sounds like he needs to grow up a little. You guys have a child, go to school and live in your parents home. It doesn't give him the right to continue to act like a child. I am going to tell you now (because I have been there)....you could do worse than living at your parents but you (by this I mean your husband) can be smarter about money. I suggest that you continue to live there, I would think that while it is annoying to be sooooo close to your parents, that it is a clean place in a safe neighborhood. $500 is fair for a nice place to live in a safe neighborhood. The problem is the spending on unnecessary things. You guys could be saving your money for your dream home instead of buying video games and computers. (cont.)
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You don't want to start life after college in debt or with poor money habits. There is a book by Dave Ramsey called The Total Money Makeover that could set you on the right path and show you how to make smarter choices. I recommend that you both read it. I also would suggest that you stay where you are for now and start saving some money for your future. Believe me, I know what its like to have to live in my parents home, annoying at the least. But they want the best for you and for us it was a huge money saver for the security we had there.
    slw123