I have been reading the failure rates on tubal ligations... (I had one almost 4 years ago)

Any way I read articles that said the rate goes up if you are under 30.
Ones that say the rate goes up if you had it done at the same time as a c-section
Ones that say rates go up if you had a previous surgery in that area such a a c-section...
Any way, I see nothing that says anything about all 3 factors together. like me ::grin::

I am at this point 3-4 weeks late with sore breast. I have not tested because I also read it can cause irregular periods (though they have been regular up until now) Plus the stress... So I was going to buy a test last Sat but have no had a car since Sat morning when it died!

In reality though chances of me being pregnant are like slim to none even with all of these factors right? anyone have any insight here. (I plan to test asap-I know I am at risk for etopic)

Where does this go I am NOT ttc and I am fairly sure I am NOT pregnant... Health?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 6:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2011 in Health

• I would take a test because more often than not when someone gets pregnant after a tubal ligation it is ectopic.

Answer by gemgem at 6:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• Stress is a major cause of late periods. Tubals do have a low failure rate, usually when not done as completely as they could have - burned ends are best. But just get a test - digital are best as they leave the guess work out - and hope for the best.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• I had mine at 21. I have experienced no problems and I am now in my forties.
    Sanctimommy

Answer by Sanctimommy at 6:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• I'm not finding the information you found, all of the articles I'm reading say that tubal ligation has a very low failure rate. I had mine at age 30 during a c-section (which is very common...and I'm not finding any information saying that reduces effectiveness.) I've also had 3 c-sections and a tubal pregnancy before my tubal ligation.

I'd check with your doctor if you are concerned. No one I know personally who has had a tubal ligation has gotten pregnant afterward....so far!!

Good Luck....and yes, many things can make your period late.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• Stop freaking out! Odds are you are not pregnant. My OB has only seen one pregnancy in 13 years! Your tubal is only 4 years old, and was probably the bilateral procedure which is near impossible.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• You are actually at higher risk for cysts which can cause you not to ovulate properly. two years after mine were tied I started even missing entire months periods.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• here is the thing. With a tubal, it is possible to have other issues. I am actually more regular now than nearly 5 years ago when I had it, and I will be 30 in December. I would test to be sure though.
    MKSmom09

Answer by MKSmom09 at 7:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• I had my tubal done in April and had the first period after in July. I am now 13 days late for the next one and God help me if when I do get it, it's anything like the one I had last time. OMG, I have had bad periods before, but this took the cake.

I have never bled so much and for so long. I was going through a super plus tampon AND full pad together within 45 minutes. I had tons of huge clots and such cramps. This happened for 4 days of the 6 and I was so close to going to the ER when I called the doc office that night. I knew it must have been because as doc said, "my equilibrium was off", but then the nurse told me that some women go on BC because it controls periods after a tubal. Umm...they never told me this when I asked about side effects, possible issues after. This was the first I heard of that and I don't want to go on BC or I would have just done that.

Now I'm freaking out of what's to come.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 1:07 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I plan to. I just don't know when I can!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• I wasn't freaking out until we hit past 2 weeks late! lol.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2011