How do I get my daughter back on a normal schedule and get rid of constipation?

I had to let my grandma have my three month old daughter for a couple of weeks while I recovered from Mono and Rotavirus. I was so sick I was literally incapable of caring for her, considering I couldn't even care for myself. When she went to my grandma's she was on a normal schedule and sleeping through the night and her stools were normal. When I got her back she won;t sleep till 4 or 5 in the morning even if I keep her up and she's in pain every time she tries to poop. I've had her back for a week and her dad has been gone most of that time so I'm on my own and I'm so tired. I've not had a decent night's sleep in over a week and I want to get her back on a schedule and her stools straightened out so she's not so miserable and I can get some much-needed rest...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• First of all I want to say I am sorry that you went through all that, it must have been horrible.

Now to answer you question, I say back to basics. Just like when you first brought her home from the hospital. It will take some time,but it will happen. About the constipation, you can try small amounts of apple juice, and I mean like an oz or two a day until her stools are normal again.

Hope this helps
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 3:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Try a little bit of prune juice or apple juice each day until she is normal again.
    For the sleeping, do NOT keep her up in the hopes that she will sleep better or longer. While this seems logical on the surface, it is actually working against her body. Overtired babies and children actually have a harder time falling asleep, a harder time staying asleep, and wake earlier in the morning. This has been proven in numerous sleep studies on infants and childern yet the "keep them up or drop a nap to get them to sleep better at night" old-wives-tale lives on.
    Get her up at the same time every morning.
    Ger her into sunlight or bright lights within one hour of that. This helps set her body clock.
    Watch her like a hawk and get her into her crib at the first sign she is tired. Don't wait until she is rubbing her eyes or crying.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My son was teething and had shots then got sick so his schedule got messed up and he got constipated.......if your daughter is on solids add in a little bit more fuit just not bananna they block it even more.....and some jucie apple or pear works best if your desperate try prune juice.....as for the schedule do it as if she never left she will figure it out and fall back into rythem....I know it is hard it took my son about 2 weeks to get back to normal......
    Patience........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Dec. 29, 2008