• In the Spotlight:

My 17 who lives with his dad just told me over the phone that he's taking steroids, by needle. I'm thinking he's messing with my head (he's always had issues with me) but maybe it's a cry for my attention. Whatever his issues may be, I AM the COOL parent and maybe he thinks I'd be cool with this. He's always worked out since he was 12 and is really into his body. How do I find out the truth? What do I do?

How can I tell if my son is telling the truth.

shannonkmohr

Asked by shannonkmohr at 10:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Ask him why he told you what he did. Say, hey, you know you told me about those steroids you are injecting. I was wondering, why did you feel like you should tell me? Did you have a question about it? Why did you think I should know? And listen. You may have a chance to help if an opening presents itself. Or you may get a feel for whether it's true, or why he's doing it, or what he is thinking he is achieving by doing it, or how much does he know about effects of what he's doing. Suggest a wikipedia article. Those are "cool".
    katiafields

Answer by katiafields at 10:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I would take him to get his blood tested and see what the doctor has to say. Make sure to let it be known that the Dr. should be realistic and if need be, stern.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• he still a minor demand a blood test and go from there.
    luvmyticos2006

Answer by luvmyticos2006 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I would say he is telling you the truth. Because he is still young and dumb(not meaning anything bad). Somehow you got to get across to him that he's hurting himself inside, he may like what he's seeing on the outside, but taking that mess could kill him. GOOD LUCK>> when mine gets that age I'll call back on you,,,,, Mine's younger and dumber (13) and in to that golth crap.....
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 1:27 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I think you should talk to his father. You are both his parents. For whatever reason he confided in you, but both adults need to be in the loop on this one. You are not going to be able to help him alone.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I use to date bodybuilders. Herewith some symptoms if he is on steroids: Firstly he would be getting big quickly, acne is common, irritability and aggression.
    lindieloo

Answer by lindieloo at 7:14 AM on Jul. 16, 2008