Nursing...

I have been nursing my LO for a week now, and my breasts never feel full between feedings. He s pooping and peeing OK, and I nurse on demans he never seems full. I dring 60+ oz of water a day as well, what am I doing wrong...i am almost in tears cause the last thing I wanna do is supliment, please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When is your next doctor's visit? If you're worried, go in & have him weighed. My son, when he was an infant, nursed a lot. Does he stop before you run out of milk? He would be crying a lot if he was hungry, and if he is peeing & pooping, he is getting enough. Don't assume you'll have to supplement.

This is really nerve wracking because you can't tell how much they're eating. Actually the more you nurse the better, as long as you aren't uncomfortable.

Call your doctor or talk to lactation specialist, just to put your mind at ease. But it seems like you're doing fine :)
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• Did your milk come in? Sometimes that can take a week or more (my doctors actually told me not to expect it before 5 days, but it came like 36 hours after delivery). Check out Kellymom.com for more info about breastfeeding, though. It's a great resource. So long as you're getting wet and dirty diapers, and feeding 10-12 times a day (at least) and the baby is gaining weight, everything should be fine. I would suggest a lactation consultant, as well, though.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• If you are worried get a weight check. As long as the baby is getting wet diapers I think 8-10 a day plus poo it should be ok. Can you hear swallowing as baby is drinking? You may be nursing often enough that you are not getting so full.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• You don't ever have to feel full. Babies eat a LOT and ALL the time to help make sure your supply is great. If he is wetting 6 diapers a day even a tiny bit, you are making plenty. the diapers amount will increase as the weeks go by and eventually, you'll count 8 a day.

there nothing to worry about and no need to supplement. Colostrum is plenty and babies stomach is the size of a marble right now. By a month, his stomach will only be as big as his fist. So, he is ALWAYS going to want to eat a LOT more than with a bottle of formula which is mostly overfed and REALLY hard to digest.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2011

• You're not supposed to feel full. Full is a signal to the body to stop making milk.

Remember Lucy and Ethel in the candy factory? WHen their boss saw they had no more candy to wrap, she sped up production. If the boss had seen lots of candy on the conveyor belt, then she'd have stopped candy production. (And fired Lucy and Ethel.)

Your breasts = conveyor belt. Empty feeling is a call for "more candy." A full belt means "stop the candy, you're making too much!"

Your breasts are FACTORIES rather than storage units.

If you're changing enough dipes you're perfect.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:39 AM on Aug. 25, 2011