Does this even make sense?

I picked up a copy of Women's World and there was an article about a lady who lost 175 lbs in one year using the Law of Attraction (a physics principle that basically says mind over matter). She got it from this book called "The Secret" which Oprah is promoting.
I usually don't read stuff that is promoted by a talk show host, but has anyone else read or heard of this? She claimed to have lost 2 lbs in the first four hours just by mentally convincing herself she was thin. What do you ladies think?

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 8:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Sounds like hogwash to me.

Answer by gemgem at 8:42 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Lol...I'm 9 months pregnant...I wonder how long I'll have to "think I'm thin" before it will start to work? Hey, by reverse logic, maybe I'm just fat because I think I am?
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I spent all day thinking "I look like Jennifer Aniston". Haven't looked in the mirror yet today, but pretty sure it didn't work - I could feel my butt jiggle as I walked down the stairs this morning.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Thinking is part of the process to get thin yes - thinking correctly allows you to take ACTION.

If she convinced herself that she was thin she probably convinced herself that the scale said she was 2 pounds lighter when in fact it didnt actually say that.

We make our own reality.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:03 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Thinking and speaking positive over yourself is very healthy but I think you have to act on all those positive thought too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Sounds like she's trying to get on the Oprah show and write her own "self help" book.. i don't put to much into what other people write and say... to each there is a solution but none are devoid of the creator...and most of these authors are clueless about the Creator
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• If you read the book, you'll see why it (100% positive thinking) works; however, you really need to watch what you are focusing on because iyour desire may not be what you are suppose to have/do. Happened to me.
    jurupari29

Answer by jurupari29 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• no i belive law of atraction work for a while me and my ex husband were talking about having a little girl and the poof i was preggers with a baby girl
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 4:46 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I've watched a few movies about this, wish I could think of a name to tell you, but sorry I can't right now. It is a little more than mind over matter, or just thinking something into happening. They say that whatever type of energy ( thoughts) you are putting out into the universe, is the type of energy you are going to attract to yourself. Umm, kinda sounds like karma lol. But anyway they say that by thinking things like, I am a powerful, successful person you will attract success and power to your life, and so on and so forth. They try to make it sound so easy but really it takes a lot of mental conditioning to put that kind of energy out there all the time, and if it isn't something you are already use to doing regularly,it will be that much more work to start doing.

Senyeh

Answer by Senyeh at 7:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2008