My daughter who is 13 months old throws temper tantrums when I take away something she's not supposed to have... i.e: cell phone...she has also not been eating well like she used to as of last month...she used to be a very good eater...

any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try giving her some thing different when you take some thing away. this will distract her and limit some of the drama. as for the food, i was told to give her what she will eat. it's better than nothing. if she is still on formula then you don't have to worry, it has all the nessary nutrients, if she is on milk then it is a little tougher. just keep offering new foods. she may not like it one day but will the next. try not to say eww or gross in front of her. they pick up on these things very quickly and if you don't want it neither does she. best of luck.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the other answer at this age redirection is the best way to handle the situation. but i know because my daughter is 14 months that sometimes it doesn't work and in that case you will have to bite the bullet but try to stay calm and level headed through the tantrums. also i would not worry too much about the eating my 4 year old won't eat anything orange. kids just have strange eating habits. they eat what and when their bodies tell them too.
    samanthapaige11

Answer by samanthapaige11 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• yes sometime all you can do is sit through the tantrums, if the screaming really gets to you (i know my sons does) turn on some music, to a volume where its not overwhelming but louder then your child, and after that should they try to sit o you to scream and whine, go clean =) as for the eating habits every kid has that stage. i personally went a sneaky route to make sure he was getting all the nutrients, iv gotten a soy bar, Gen-Soy brand, that has 25%- 100% of daily vitamins in it, they come in many flavors and i use the chocolate mint ones for my son. he thinks hes getting a candy bar when really hes getting everything he ACTUALY needs =)
    Miss_Yoshie

Answer by Miss_Yoshie at 12:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• this is very normal for that age...my son got to where he didn't want to eat unless he could feed himself and so we just stuck to fingerfoods like the gerber pasta pick up and chicken strips or nuggets or burgers and fries...things that wouldn't be too messy eaten by hand. As they grow independence they want to do more for themselves. Also as they get older they begin to figure out what they do and don't like. It's very common to have a picky eat don't worry just try to find creative ways to get her to eat healthy foods still. There's a wonderful cook book called "Deceptively delicious" that has recipes for healthy foods that kids think are deserts or junk food type stuff that they actually want to eat. As far as the temper tantrums go, that is something that just comes with kids. Just stick to your convictions and don't give in no matter the tantrum and she'll eventual see that it doesn't bother you and stop behaving in such ways. Best of luck!
    kealydees

Answer by kealydees at 2:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2008