Trouble in potty training land with my 2 year old.

My 2 year old has exhibited all the signs of potty training, taking his diaper off, interest in the toilet ect. So we went for it. He has been wearing underwear and using the big potty to pee in for weeks now. But when he has to poop he goes and hides under the dining room table, covers his eyes, and poops his pants! This is like a daily thing! I don't know what to do to get him to stop doing this. Any suggestions?

3LittleBearcubs

Asked by 3LittleBearcubs at 9:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's another sign that he is ready... hiding and wanting a little privacy for pooping.

Another idea is to have "poopy play". Make "poop" out of playdoh. Be silly in mixing the colors up, asking him what other color to add, when it's "right", etc. Then make little poops out of it. Next, have silly play in deciding where to put the poop - does it go in a potted plant, does it go under the kitchen table, does it go in the well-cleaned potty? Be silly, have fun, and repeat often.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I had the same problem with my boys! My pediatrician suggested they only wear a long shirt--no underwear, and basically following them around the house! Whenever they got quiet (and I suspected they were due for a poop), or I saw the "concentrating" face, I made sure to announce it was "potty time" and either lead them or carried them to the potty. I'd read them stories sing songs and what not to get them to stay put, and after about 2 weeks of this, it finally worked!

Also, when my sons pooped in their underwear, I would carefully remove the underwear and empty the contents in the toilet, showing them where poop goes, and have them flush. I think this also helped them to understand what I wanted them to do and where!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:39 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• cont.

The fact that your son is hiding indicates he KNOWS he has to go, but is either afraid or unsure how to tell you. It's good because he is making the connection--follow him around for a couple of weeks and I think you'll have him trained! I also used a minute timer so neither of us would forget!
    LoriKeet

• Thats a pretty good idea Lori, thanks! My other 2 older kids got the concept about poops and pees right of the bat, so I have never had this problem before. It's been so frustrating,ugh. He is also still sleeping in a diaper and I wonder sometimes if this is sabotaging his progress?
    3LittleBearcubs

Answer by 3LittleBearcubs at 2:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Oh and no, sleeping in a diaper is not a problem. Night time dryness has NOTHING to do with daytime training. It's like expecting someone to not snore at night or scolding a sleep-walker for getting out of bed. Most of the books I've read and parents I've talked to say to not bother with "night-time training" until the child has been well trained for day time at least 6 months. Some kids self-train during that period - waking up with dry diapers and going to the potty in the morning. Some don't. It is very common (20% or more) for kids to still wet at age 5. So don't stress over that for now. Revisit the issue when he's day-time trained.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2008