can my 7 1/2 mo old have orange juice?

I think she might be getting a bit of a cold and want to give her extra vitimin C thru juice.

annananna

Asked by annananna at 9:31 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would think the acid might upset her tummy. Try feeding her greens such as Mustard greens. Just cook them down and purree them. They are full of viatmin C and won't upset her tummy as much as juice would. Plus, citris is a high allergen (like eggs and shellfish) and they reccomnd not giving it untill after age 2.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My son has the WORSE diapers when he has citrus... he just turned two and it is still a problem. I give him oranges every now and then but we steer clear of juice for now. If you are worried about a cold... there are other remedies too that you might try. What are the baby's symptoms? Are you running a humidifier? I love Vick's Baby Rub! And you might try decreasing any dairy if you have started that already...

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:43 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I wouldn't.. it's pretty acidic. I would try other vitamin C rich foods. And like the pp said... citrus shouldn't be introduced until they are older because of allergens.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• NO. It's too acidic for your baby's tummy. Google foods that have vitamin c in it. Do you breastfeed? That's probably the best!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• maddie's ped said that its best to avoid acidic food before the age of 1, and im guessing is for the same reasons posted above. i usually give her pear or apple juice.
    Steph0612

Answer by Steph0612 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I am a Medical Assistant, and just as an FYI, once you have a cold, taking additional Vitamin C won't help. A cold has to run its course no matter what you take. The best thing to do, like some previous posters said, is to use a humidifier, vaporub, etc.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 3:58 AM on Dec. 29, 2008