what is your relationship with mother in law like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Relationships

• So close im suprised i have'nt turned into her my mother, my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law are always fund together, my sister in-law has 4 children and is also a SAHM so we take the children out alot and my MIL is absolutely great with all the children.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 9:49 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Distant and that's where I will keep it.
    If you get too involved with her she causes way too much trouble.
    We rarely visit her and I rarely talk to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I am going to say distant because she and I don't always have an honest, open communication. I love her dearly, love to spend time with her and enjoy learning from her creativity and hospitality. We have been less than friends and my and her relationship with my own mother makes it tough to enjoy her when we get together for family occaisions at my house. We had a very hard time when her husband died and my first child was just two months old because we were both so needy in our new situations. We got passed in though and we genuinely care for each other I think. I have put off enjoying her for too long! I am touched by the question. Thanks for asking.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• GREAT! My MIL is our children's ONLY grandparent...mine have passed, and my FIL died 7 years ago, before they were born. Sure she can get on your nerves, but she LOVES to debate issues so I feel I can TOTALLY express myself...good, bad or indifferent. And she never stews over someone else's opinion--she's very forgiving! She's also FABULOUS with our children...they are her 8th and 9th grandchildren--she has a total of 11!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:55 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Great! She lives in OK and we live in CT so I only have to see her once or twice a year and she always brings presents. lol
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 10:06 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Stressful! For us I think a lot of it is cultural- dh and I are different races/cultures and the ILs have always seemed uncomfortable with me because of that. We have been married for over ten years and they still haven't really warmed up to me. They don't make much effort to see the kids or to see dh and I. They seem to like their other DIL (who is the same ethnicity) a lot better. The 'good' part is that dh is not really close to them either so it's not like we have to see them all the time... but there is a lot of nattering behind my back about things and they hold a lot of expectations of dh that are contrary to the best interests of the kids and I and that causes some conflict.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:08 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• i used to live with her for about 3 months and it was ok then but like 2 months after i moved out i couldnt stand her. i let my kid go over there but i cant stand to be over there or see her face! i would rather wait in the car for a hour while my hubby and kid visit than be there in the house with her there.
    lydiamama

Answer by lydiamama at 1:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• mine is awesome and my 2 sister in laws are great too, they remind me a lot of my own family
    learae

Answer by learae at 2:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• of those that are not as lucky to have good one, do you think things can be changed? what upsets you about her? how is your mom towards your husband/bf?

any mother in laws can you share your side
    Anonymous

• WE HATE EACH OTHER. SHES AN ALCOHOLIC, TRIED TO SMOKE WEED IN MY HOUSE, AND TRIES TO TELL ME " HOW ITS GONNA BE" WOTH MY DAUGHTER. SHE IS DISRESPECTFUL....SHE'S CONSTANTLY CALLING ME A BITCH... AND NOW IM SHOWING HER ONE.... SHE ISNT ALLOWED TO SEE MY DAUGHTER... SHE TOO IRRESPONSIBLE TO BE AROUND MY BABY GIRL...
    youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 11:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2008