Do scary birthing stories ever come to an end?!

I know my aunt is trying to help but lately she has been ranting on and on about hot painful and scary giving birth is. We talk quite alot about my pregnancy but when she gives me advice, she scares me with her experiences. She always talks about how mad she got and how much pain she was in. I simply told her to stop but she doesn't, sometimes I think shes doing it on purpose. She even had the nerve to say "Your going to have a real reality check when the baby comes", is parenting really THAT bad???
I dont know how to make her stop, i've asked her and i'm sure she see's from my face expressions that i dont wanna listen to her anymore.

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Nope, sorry. People are very selfish when it comes to pregnancy. They always want to talk about what happened to them, and how hard it was on them. It will never be as hard as people make it out to be.
    Just wait til you have the baby, then the real "advice" comes.
    Good luck! Enjoy it, and just walk away when people start talking about scary stories... or say something shitty once. It will work. (blame it on hormones, nows your chance, lol.)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Oh honey, the stories don't stop until you have the baby (at least I hope). I've been hearing everyone's horror stories since the day I found out I was pregnant, and I'm sick of them too....
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:12 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• No, doesn't end. A lot of women like to tell their stories and it may sound awful and scary because a lot of the time it is, especially if it's your first. I've noticed some mothers sound like they had the worse labor experience ever and your story can't top it off. It seems like a competition sometimes. Just stay away from your Aunt for awhile, if, all she does is non-stop bug you about how terrible her labor was and your labor will be. You can also tell her that you really want her to stop talking about it all and you just want to enjoy your pregnancy. I hope she listens to you otherwise walk away from her! Good luck! Don't worry so much, we all survive labor and delivery. You'll be fine and have a healthy baby in your arms!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:14 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Others have dif versions of their labor,

if it was so bad...women wouldnt have more than one,!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You're lucky that it's labor and delivery horror stories! I'm pregnant with twins and I swear my parents keep seeking out people who have multiples and ask them how horrible it is just so they can report it back to me! I keep telling them, well, I'll see when they get here! But, that doesn't work either. To be honest on my first round of L&D I don't remember anything other than the point of wanting an epidural and that's it. It was kinda like the elation of having my baby boy in my arms just blocked everything else out! Good luck with the aunt and I would say avoid her if possible! Who knows say that it looks like you may end up having a csection or something so that it's nothing she can relate to! lol I'm joking!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 10:30 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I am sorry that she won't stop trying to scare you. I think that most people are trying in some weird way to make you feel better when you have your baby and it wasn't torture. All I can say is to find positive birth stories, reading books or even here on Cafemom, there are a lot of groups that you can find great birth stories. Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:45 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• It's amazing how unsupportive some people are when they're trying to be supportive! =) Unfortunately, she probably won't stop on her own, so you might try carrying a roll of duct tape with you, and flashing it when she gets out of hand. Be lighthearted about it, but just be like, stop, don't make me use this!
    Do you have more supportive people around you at all? You might try finding some, because it will help you to hear some GOOD experiences, so you don't panic when the big day comes. It really can be a wonderful experience.
    Good luck, hun!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008