I am BF my 3 wk old. The last couple days after I just get done feeding her she is acting like she is still hungry by searching/suckling/etc. I thought maybe she didn't get enough but when I offered her my breast again she doesn't want it. she just wants to suck? My husband and I don't like the ideas of pacifiers or finger sucking, but am thinking that she may want/need a pacifier to fulfill this sucking need after she feeds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's what I did with my first son. We did a bf formula combo but at that age they do need to suckle even when they aren't eating... Mine seemed to self soothe that way. Now with my youngest we did not put him on a pacifier and he is 8 mo now and still wants to pacify on me. Some people don't mind this or see it as better for the kiddo. For me, I just can't do it :( I need my boob and my sleep, lol. I wish I had gotten him on a pacifier earlier because it is way harder now. That's just my experience though... I hope you get a few responses so you have some different things to consider :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:57 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Some babies have a very strong urge to suck. I think I would try a pacifier. I didn't want to use a pacifier with my son either... but he was the same way. Would eat... and then want to pacify but would get so bad if milk was coming... so we have him one. He was MUCH happier. And he gave his up on his own... at around 2 months.
    Also, when you say finger sucking... do you mean her own? Because you could let her suck on yours... my son will suck on my finger sometimes... but not his own.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:03 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• depends, sometimes they are still hungry and yes sometimes they just want to pacify too...do you know how much you're producing?
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• my baby never liked the pacifier, she wouldn't take it ever...and i tried...so, i would just breastfeed...even for her to pacify, especially when she was a newborn.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I would try a paci or let her suck on your clean finger. Mine would never take a paci. Just be sure to offer the breast regularly. You may want to hold off on a paci for 1-3 more weeks though, as pacifiers sometimes cause nipple confusion.

Also, way to go for breastfeeding!!!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• A pacifier won't cause nipple confusion... there isn't any milk coming from it. And most often they don't have "nipple confusion" as much as flow confusion... where they start to like how fast and easy it is to take from a bottle
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:46 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I didn't like the pacifier idea either, but we learned real quick that baby wants what baby wants!!! I don't think you'll do any harm by offering a paci.. if your concerned the baby will get confused, I think they figure it out pretty quick, at least mine did. If you use a paci with a different type of nipple than your bottles baby will be able to differentiate from the beginning. My daughter ended up with a pacifier, but it has never caused any problems, and she's not 'hooked' to it. She likes it, but she only takes it at certain times, never for bed anymore, just when she's cranky during the day. You might find it helpful in a couple months for teething too! (Just a little tip I picked up this last week since mine is teething!)
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I give my son a paci. Cause if I didn't he would be sucking on me ALL the time. He loves to suck on stuff... his hands his paci.... my arm... his daddy's fingers... ANYTHING you put near his mouth he will suck on. and I mean this is after he eats 6 ounces of milk... he just loves to suck. lol :) I didn't want mine to have a paci, but it really helps him so I gave in
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I didn't want the paci either, but after his circ they gave it to him at the hospital and we decided it wasn't all that bad lol
    He's 17 months and hasn't really used it in the last 6 months or so, unless he's sick or teething.
    cass_pick

Answer by cass_pick at 12:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Better for her to use a pacifier than you. My second daughter started sucking her thumb before we left the hospital. I find it much easier to brake them from a pacifier than their thumb. My daughter is 3 months now and does not take a pacifier at all anymore. Just because they start off with a pacifier does not mean that they will become attached to it.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 12:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2008