Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

how can i get my baby daddy who is in the military to be responsible an man up after i got knocked up by him?

i have a baby dad that is in the military and is not manning up idk how i can get him to be responsible for our actions as parents to a baby boy

Answer Question

Asked by crystalss at 4:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2011 in Military

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • as a military member, if you want to push it as far as going to the military you can do a DNA test and go to his command and they will require him to step up, however my friend had a baby with a marine in the area we live in and she decided for her son that, if he didnt want to be a father then her son deserved someone better that loves her and her son and it isnt something forced.

    Answer by USMCWifey2011 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2011

  • yeah, what they said. Get a DNA test and contact him

    Answer by Roadfamily6now at 10:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

  • I was going to tell you what sailorwifenmom said. You are fortunate that he is the the military. They really don't have deadbeat dad's. If he doesn't pay, they will make him. So as long as he is active duty, your child will be covered. Get paternity established asap. Good Luck

    Answer by moneymagnetmom at 5:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2011

  • continued -

    The person at the command that you need to contact would be the Legal Office at his command. If that doesn't work, or if he's transferred and you don't know his command, then you can contact the IG about it.

    If he is out of the area and you got a court ordered DNA test, then you need to contact the IG. That's the Inspector General - you can look them up by Service specific searches. They are going to be one of the best bets to track him down and enforce court orders for child support and for dna testing.

    But, as I said, once the paternity is proven, it's NOT his choice to withhold or grant the child military dependency status - which is how you get health care, etc for your little one.

    Good luck!

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

  • It depends on what you want done - if you want him to step up and be a dad, then sorry, but there's not a lot you can do to force that.

    HOWEVER - there is a LOT of things that you can do to make a military person own up to their responsibilities. First, you need to get a court ordered DNA test to prove paternity. Once you prove paternity, you need to do a couple of things - 1) Sue for child support. 2) Contact the command he is at (if you know it, if not, contact the nearest command to you). Once it has been established that he is the father, then he has NO CHOICE but to list your child on his Page 2 in his service record - which means that he has NO CHOICE but for your child to get military health care, etc.

    Also, once you get a court order for child support, if he isn't paying, the military can and will garnish his wages for you. So, this gets you child support and health care for your baby, at least...

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:31 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

  • You can't really...that needs to come from within him. You can however hit him up for child support in the meantime. Good luck!

    Answer by GomezMami2908 at 6:10 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

  • This has been an unanswered question from the beginning of time. Some men just don't feel that attachment or commitment to their children as mothers do. You can't force it on him, it will only push him away further. The only thing you can really do is send him pics and let him know what he is missing out on. Hit him up for child support so he at least helps out financially.

    Answer by mom2lyl at 4:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

  • The most you can do is request a dna test and get child support.

    Answer by Flippindadaisie at 4:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.