• In the Spotlight:

What are your thoughts on this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxv6R9fUO74&feature=related

If you don't want to watch it, it is about an 8 year old who is still breastfeeding.

When is the right time to "let go"? Is there an age at which this becomes inappropriate? Do you feel that it's more for the mom and less for the child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not going to lie....I'm a little creeped out by it.

Like Maureen said, I don't think there is a "magic weaning age", but there does come a point when you have to say "Okay, you're no longer a baby, or even a toddler - and it's time to grow up."

I'm not going to state this as fact, because I don't KNOW, but would breastmilk even support an 8 year old? Wouldn't they need other things to supplement their diet?

I get that she's wanting to let the child choose, but obviously at this point it's a security issue. Let's say the child doesn't choose to quit any time soon - how long is she willing to continue breastfeeding? Until middle school? High school?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:59 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I do think it comes to a point where it is more about the mom. I don't think there is a magic age to wean. I plan on nursing until my son is ready to wean. But I will not nurse him until he's school age, just like he won't sleep in a crib forever or drink from a sippy cup his whole life. Kids need to grow up and as parents we need to guide them through that.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• A parent that lets their child nurse into the preschool and beyond years to me, is a parent who is afraid to be a parent.
    Anonymous

• Aren't they suppossed to be on whole milk at a year. I think a year is good....even that is a little creepy sometimes. But 8 is crazy!
    Anonymous

• World Health Organization recommends 2 yrs minimum breastfeeding. I refuse to comment on the video cause it is up to the mom and the kid when they stop. There is nothing wrong with child led weaning. You know what....it isn't any of your business what that mom does either.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I think it's wrong on so many levels, I have an 8 yr old and I couldn't imagine breastfeeding her or her wanting too, this mom has some serious issues and she needs to let her child grow up.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• To each their own.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• eww. mom needs professional help.
    Anonymous

• 8 years old is really pushing it. There's a point when to stop. I can see a mother doing it until the child was about 2.. 3 maxium... after that it just gets weird and WILL effect the child mentally.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I watched this. I think that at that point there is something seriously wrong. Would she let an 8 year old run around drinking a bottle or with a binky in her mouth? Breast milk does have antibodies and is better for an infant than formula if possible, but the word is INFANT. By the age of 1 1/2 or 2 the child needs to be eating regular family food. She says she wants to let the child self-wean, but it doesn't look like it's happening!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2008