Court Appointed Attorney

My son has to go to court for a misdemeanor probation violation. It says he has to show that he was not in comtempt of court? Do you know if it is worth getting a court appt. attorney? I have heard its not worth it. My dh will not pay for one and I have no money nor does my son.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• I personally don't think its worth it. If its a misdemeanor violation and he hasn't had any violations before they probably will just give him a big fat warning. It's really hard to say without knowing the details of why hes on it to begin with and how he violated it but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be worth it for a misdemeanor.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:52 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• As in a public defender? Depending on what he did, and if it may go to trial, I would say yes. His first hearing all they will do is read back his case, ask him if he is guilty or not, ask him if he can afford an attorney or if he would like one stated to him. If he says he wants one stated to him, they will askhim a bunch of questions to make sure he can't afford his own attorney, or he can say i would like to represent myself, and the judge will either allow or deny that.

oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• CONT.

I just went through some of this crap back in june for a lame "domestic battery" case, when the neighbors called the cops on me and jeff for arguing in the yard, and the cops saw me push him, ha. It was also a misdemeanor, and it got dropped cause there was no proof of harm and I had never been in trouble before in my life. I had a public defender, but that was because i had no clue what i may have been getting into, so I wanted to be safe. And if I went to trial we were going to get an attorney.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• misdemeanor? Just use a court appted attorney

Answer by admckenzie at 9:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• We didn't use any attorney and it went fine...
    Anonymous