how can i get my daughter to stop crying for everyone except me and her father?

Every time someone else holds her she screams! We don't understand why. She cries even for family members she sees all the time. Is there any way to break this? What is wrong?

angelkitten83

Asked by angelkitten83 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i was told that you have to be near by when she is being held by some one else. that babies go through a phase where they are afraid that you will leave them. try sitting next to the person and put her in the middle of the two of you. keep telling her that it is ok. and she will eventually get used to other people. i had to do this when my daughter got older because she was terrified of her grandmother and would scream non stop the whole time. my mom was really offended but it took a little time of doing this and she got over it. good luck.
    carinsmommy

Answer by carinsmommy at 10:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Meaning she doesn't want to be held by them? It will take time. If you are at Grandma's, let Grandma hold her, tell the baby "Mama will be back soon" smiling, go into the bathroom or kitchen, come back in a few minutes. She will learn that Mommy always comes back but it will take some time. She is so little, a minute can seem like an eternity.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I wold not push it. One thing you don't want is reinforcing fear of strangers by repeated trauma. She may already have that, so maybe give her a break. I am sorry for your feelings, my boy does that too sometimes, and it can be soo embarrassing. But that's OK. Tell strangers to smile and talk to her from a distance only. With time things should improve.
    katiafields

Answer by katiafields at 10:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2008