a 2 yr old.

my 2 yr old refuses to eat at all, she refuses to go to bed when i lay her down (my brother broke her crib so now there is no side on it), maybe im laying her down to early or something, idk.

so heres my question.
*how do i get her to eat anything?
*how do i get her to stay in bed?
*at what age should they get a 'big girl' bed?
*what time should a kid that just turned 2 a few months ago go to bed?

sorry i know thats alot to ask.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put the food in front of her. If she doesn't eat, don't make her anything else. She'll eat when she gets hungry.
    Getting her to stay in bed is a bit trickier. Mine are 7 & 5 and sometimes still get out of bed. For mine, just consistently putting them back to bed with nothing more said than "good night" works.
    Both of mine were in big kid beds before they were 2. Around 18 months, I think. It depends on your kid.
    My kids have always gone to bed at 8pm. Again, that's another one that I think depends on you and your kid. I think they need like 12-14 hrs of sleep. So, if nap is 2 hrs, I'd look at what time she gets up and calculate what time she'd need to go to bed to get 12 hrs at night. Then, see how easily she goes to bed, how cranky/happy she is in the morning, how she deals with nap, and adjust accordingly.
    Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:57 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Give her a plate of food. If she eats, she eats. If not, she doesn't and she doesn't get any other snacks, either. She won't allow herself to starve. Keep offering a balanced diet...and what you are eating. Sometimes it's a matter of they want what you have....We also have a "one bite per year" rule. Before they get down from the table they have to eat one bite of each thing for every year of their age.

Put her in bed and walk out. Put her in bed and walk out. Put her in bed and walk out....

My three were out of the crib at 15 months.

At 2 years, they've each gone to bed at 8pm.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• For the food, take the fight out of it. Have 3 set meal and 2 set snack times. Offer her only healthy choices at all of them - no cookies, candies, junky crackers. If she eats, great. If she doesn't, oh well. Don't say anything and don't make her something else. Let her pitch a fit if she wants but don't give in. She will quickly learn that not eating leads to hungry tummy pains. And going hungry won't hurt her. However, don't offer her things you KNOW she won't like - liver and onions for example. And have dessert no more than once a week. If she doesn't eat her dinner, she still gets dessert. Do NOT link the two. Do NOT teach her that her dinner is so BAD that she must be bribed to eat it. You can take away the dessert for throwing toys or for running away in a store but not for not cleaning her plate.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• For bedtime, there is no set time to move a child. You can leave them in a crib until they reach the weight limit. My daughter is 29 months and still in her crib. However, since yours is broken, you might as well move her.
    Then you do the "silent return to bed" trick as many times as needed. It might be dozens in the first nights. But she'll catch on and start staying put.
    What time she goes to bed depends on what time she gets up, how many naps she takes, and how awful she is in the evening. The only reason toddlers act rotten in the evening is they are overtired and need more sleep. My daughter gets up at about 7am, takes one 2 hour nap and goes to bed at 7:15 (she's asleep by 7:30).
    kaycee14