I have a five year old with ADHD........

My five year old was diagnosed with ADHD Last year at the beginning of the school year.. He is really a smart kid he just has problems dealing with his surroundings unless he is on his medicine.. I hate having to give him medicine all the time and it seems to me that it really don't work after 4:00. I'm really just confused about what I need to do about it... He has been to several different Doc. and his pediatrician said the last time I took him to see him about his med not working like it should he said well its out of his hands now.. So he made him an apt with another specialist in Jan. Is there anyone out there maybe going through this are have any helpful suggestions?

jtklreese

Asked by jtklreese at 11:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son went through the same thing. The Dr. increased his meds it was too much, then dropped  back down  it wasn't enough. I had to change his doctor. My son takes adderall he is on a time release capsule. It keeps him leveled out all day .  My child also goes to a counselor once a week to work through any issues that he might be having. I might even suggest you go to a counselor. It does help. Remember you are not a failure, you are not alone, you are not lazy. You are doing the right thing by seeking help for your child. Good luck to you! As for the one who want to say that mothers of children with ADHD are lazy and yada yada yada, my advice to you: shut your mouth about something that you don't know anything about. There are truly children with ADHD and their parents have to learn how to deal. Your negative answers are just like telling someone that has cancer that there is nothing wrong with them, take an asprin.
    cbell77

Answer by cbell77 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Sorry, I don't believe in ADHD. What I believe is that you need to change his diet. Cut out all sugar. Shut off the TV and Video Games. I am almost 95% sure that this would cure alot of people coming on here talking about their ADHD child. This many children in our society cannot have ADHD. That is a blanket diagnosis for Wake Up and Be A Better Parent. You have got to be 100% involved in your child's life. What he does, what he eats, what he watches and does not watch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• PP, you prob don't believe in depression then either? There is proof it exists but yet you don't believe it....strange. You should count your blessings and thank God you've never had to deal with a child that has a mental disorder!

ADHD is over-diagnosed, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Sorry!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• In response to the first answer...

.You know i used to think the same thing about adhd until I had an adhd child... I know everyone has their opinion and that's great I have my own...But until you have experienced it then don't set and tell me that I need to wake up and be a better mother.. Your post really made me laugh.. I mean to see people that will say something like that and not educate themselves on the matter before specking.. I have educated myself through and through about it.. And for your info about changing his diet and turning off the TV well he is on a well balanced diet and he never watches tv so I guess you really do need to do more research and then you can post what you think..
    jtklreese

Answer by jtklreese at 12:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• adhd is NOT a mental disorder. it is a behavior disorder, more prevalent now than ever, perhaps because it's better known, and MDs are better able to study it, perhaps because parents are, more than ever, self-centered &lazy, looking for a pill to handle the symptoms. it's been my experience that the children with the biggest behavior problems are that way because of inconsistency. try to be patient, somewhat flexible, yet consistent with the rules and discipline. if he's crashing at 4, try making sure he has some "quiet rest time" during the day, an hour or more is not out of line. 4 is WAY TOO YOUNG to be diagnosed with ADHD, a very real disorder. make sure your boys has plenty of challenging activities. smart kids get bored,then get into trouble. try not to let that happen. Good Luck! vicki (mother of 4, preschool teacher)
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 1:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My son has it too . It can be diffacult to find the right amount we use concerta. If there is a cildrens hospital near you take him there they can eval him and help you find a good doctor. ADHD is a mental disorder and lots of people who haven't been threw it should not judge. While the medicine does not take care of everything, it does make it easyer for him to learn. He also see's someone once a week just to help him deal with his anger issues. My advice is to read and join the adhd group on here. then go to your ped and say you want to get him evaled at tthe hospital. good luck here if you need me
    Ianmommy4

Answer by Ianmommy4 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO WITH YOU!!!! lol
    my 5 yr old son is adhd and odd and on meds, and i have had to make medication adjustments a few times. when it was clear that it wore off way too early we tried adding a small dose of ritalin in the afternoon. now i have changed that and he just started vyvance which lasts longer so he needs no mid day dose.
    good luck!!!
    ask your doc about vyvance
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• ok i answered before reading all the other answers, and some od those pissed me off. ADHD is often overly ormis diagnosed, however it is a VERY real issue and inless you have had to deal with it you haveNO RIGHT tojudge and to tell anyone to step up and be a better parent!!!!! i am 100% involved in my son's life-and yes he has ADHD. IT IS A MENTAL DISORDER, just as depression, anxiety ect are. The meds control some of the action going on in the brain.
    if you do not have a child whith ADHD then you haveNO CLUE all the aspects involved and instead of bashing mommies of ADHD kids you should be kissing their feet in awe of how they do it!!!

and to the mommy of the originalpost-- feel free to messge me :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• my 10 yo was diagnosed with adhd at three, it is not a behavioural disorder, it is a bio-chemical disorder, hence the medication. it is a REAL dis-order, that yes, probally is over diagnosed. it is not just parents being lazy and not particptating in their child's life.
    op talk to your child's school, my son is getting services through the school right now, and if your school doesn't do that, they might be able to point you in the right direction of where to get help, also if you have any mental health facilities near you, they work with adhd as well
    good luck

and to those who say adhd isn't real, go spend an entire day with a room full of un-medicated adhd children and then try to say it's not real
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 9:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My 7 year old boy has autism spectrum disorder and ADHD. Which can make him very difficult to deal with at times.I fought dr's and teachers for years about putting him on medicine.It got to the point that he wouldnt do his work,have TERRIBLE temper tanturms(to the point of trying to hurt imself bu hitting and biting) and was easily distracted by almost anything He was failing,straight zeros. I finally gave in and took him to see a psych dr.She put him on Focalin for his behavior problems.He almost completely stopped the temper tantrums.But still wasnt focusing on his work.Six weeks later she also put him on Respirdal.The change in him is amazing.Where before he couldnt even form full sentence,now he can actually hold a conversation!!!! If helpin my kiddos means I'm a lazy unfit parent then so freakin be it!
    Momof4Gr8Kids

Answer by Momof4Gr8Kids at 10:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2008