Only at night time my 5 year old coughs all night.

Lately my 5 year old is fine during the day but at night time he'll cough none stop in his sleep. Which of course wakes me up. I have done, vapor rub, cough strips, cough syrup, drink of water, propping up on 2 pillows. Nothing works. Is there anything someone can suggest or know what is going on?

rbade

Asked by rbade at 9:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Could be asthma. My oldest dd was that way and would cough all night it seemed. I took her to the doctor and they said she had asthma. I would make an appointment and have the doctor check them out. They can prescribe albuterol and a more effective cough medicine.

Answer by gemgem at 9:52 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• youve done everything i wouldve thought of but maybe its an allergy to something in his room. could be dust in the carpet. ive used a shampooer with allergen free shampoo which is a great help because my daughter has asthma.
    mommy102481

Answer by mommy102481 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• This could be allergies. It happens to me sometimes - you breath in the pollen all day, you're up & around and it doesn't bother you. When you lay down, your lungs start really working to try to get the junk out.

Have you taken him to the doctor? Maybe they can recommend something. My son gets some of this. I make sure he takes a shower at night (clears things out) and I give him Benadryl before bed.

Sorry that you & your little guy are going through this!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• gemgem did it just appear one night? It just started happening a couple of nights ago.
    rbade

Comment by rbade (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• Allergies? Do you have the AC on a lot? If so it could be because of that.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• We were told he had allergies but I had him tested (blood test) and they found nothing. So the allergies makes sense.
    rbade

Comment by rbade (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I think he may be croupy. It's a nighttime thing. One way you can find out for sure is to have him stick his head in the freezer and breathe in the cold air. If that interrupts it, then it's probably croup.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 10:06 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• Change your A/C filter.. Is it dry there? Run the shower before bedtime or run a humidifier.  Rather than medication this is what helps my kids; Make sure you wash his hair at night to get the pollen out of his hair...you dont want him rubbing his face in it on the pillow case at night, change his sheets weekly and wash in hot water,  vacuum under his dressers and bed, wash his stuffed animals, dust his room, don't leave clothes that he has worn during the day in his room.  Put vicks on his feet with socks on.   I just vacuumed my entire house, even the ceiling, walls, ceiling fans, the corners of the carpet by the baseboards, curtains, washed rugs...this all stopped our problems. 

I hope he feels better.

Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:07 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• It's not croup. My kids have had that before so I know that sound. It's a dry cough.
    rbade

Comment by rbade (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• My 7yr old does that and its allergies. i give him childrens claritin at nights sometimes
    dkej743

Answer by dkej743 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2011