My 1 yr old pup keeps jumping up on people

i have tryed to spray water at its face when it jumps up and it doesn't work at all, i am getting very pissy cause i couldn't sleep very well cause i am in pain she jumped up and scratch me and it so hurts right on my butt bone i'm sorry i am not trying to be a sicko or anything but i need help on to get her to stop jumping anyone know how?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Pets

• As a former Trainer
    I would recommend Petsmart Training classes

Email me And i can help with some technques

Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Dog thinks its the boss thats why they do that you need to tell the dog NO firmly and look him or her in the eyes... Thats what I was taught.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• no is a common word like know to the dog these are the same word use ut uh sternly they understand that also when they go to jump make sure the person they jump up on turns and steps away before the dog touchs them

again if you need help leave me a message on my page
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• What helped with us and our dog: When the dog jumps on you, put your knee into his/her chest and push the dog back down. Do it hard enough to push the dog away, but not hard enough to hurt him/her. Tell the dog to "get down" at the same time you are doing this.
    Something that may also work: When the dog is jumping, turn your back to the dog. Every time the dog jumps, quickly turn your back to him/her and ignor the dog. This has been known to work also. I don't think the dog needs to go to "training classes" just because he/she is jumping.
    Anonymous

• we have a pit bull, and her favorite thing to do is jump up on people when we come in. we have her toys at the ready for when she gets set loose from her crate- she knows she will not get ANY attention from us if she does not keep her toy in her mouth. most dogs do it for attention, so when we give her the toy, we make sure to give her some good rubs and scratches and kisses, and she is happy. if we don't have her toy ready to put in her mouth, she jumps all over us. also someone mentioned putting your knee into his chest- that works too. after you do that, turn around so you are not giving attention, and the dog should learn after a while. good luck! consistency is key, so let your visitors know to do this too!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Keep your dog on a leash and keep it held tight so that it CANT jump (not enough slack in leash). When not on a leash, anytime dog jumps raise you knee up (high) to the dog, it will knock the dog back down. These are a couple of things any trainer would tell you. I would take the dog to an ADVANCED training class that specifies working on problems.
    p.s. I'm a licensed vet nurse
    Bobbysmommy324

Answer by Bobbysmommy324 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I also have trained dogs for 28 yrs. Have you taught your dog any commands? Is she/he lead broke and wearing a collar? You must start with the basics. Sit, down, stay. It's like teaching your kids their manners. Pups are pups and they don't come trained into this world when they are born.They must be taught. If you can, start out with a sit command and make sure you do this all the time. When your pup goes to jump, use your command for sit. Use treats and lots of (good job done) praises. You must lead break a dog first, so it knows your the boss. Make sure you are the pack leader and the dog understands you mean there are rules. goes for the sitting command . Rules, rules ,rules, are the point I am trying to make to you to get a handle on your pup.I learned many yrs ago when I had children at home. Dogs look for guidance and they love to be given guidance. Good luck
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I have three doberman lap dogs. Our 100 pounder tried to jump up on me untill i started jutting my knee out into his chest.

But i wouldn't be angry at the dog, he continues this behavior because he hasn't been corrected in a way he can understand. You can point your finger and yell at him all day, but to him its just your finger and a loud excited noise. If you were a dog you wouldn't tell him no, you would bite him.

If there is a game you play where he jumps up in any way, even puts his hand up on you stop now until you get everything under your control. That's a dominant behavior and he's letting you know he's the boss.

look into the dog whisperer he has a show on TLC that has helped me understand dog behavior much better.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2008