if you had to choose one parenting style.....

which one would it be?
helicopter parenting: always protecting your child, very cautious, know where they are ALL the time, know who they are with, punishment, and have rules.
or...
the free parenting: let them learn from themselves, let them express who they are, watch what they want, make their own rules, go anywhere without telling you, dont believe in punishment, and basically treat a child as your equal (as an adult almost)

choose one.........

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• Moreso the first choice with some flexibility thrown in. There are times that one style will be better suited for a situation and times that the other will be. I think the first option is more appropriate when raising children; there's plenty of room in there for them to still learn from their mistakes. My BIL and SIL do not believe in any boundaries or discipline whatsoever for their children and they (the kids) are the most manipulative, little sh*ts you will ever come across. It is well known and documented that children need rules and boundaries. It certainly makes life easier for all involved.
    Anonymous

• i would say that i was raised by helicopter parents and i turned out great. however my mom turned into a free parent for my young sis and she has down some really bad things and started at the age of 12!!
    so i would be a helicopter parent! lol
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Can't chose one. I don't agree with either in full....for OUR family, that is! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Hard to choose, it seems like both are a bit extreme.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• What would be the point of free parenting? Seriously, that sounds like a bad idea. If you give a child too much freedom, they are going to abuse it. If you never ask where they are, who they're with, what they're doing, they are going to think you just don't give a damn. In turn, they won't care about what they do. And treating a child like an adult? Umm, unless they are an adult, why would anyone want to do this? You can't expect a 15 year old to have the judgment of a 25 year old - so why would anyone treat them as such? I just don't get it. And being overprotective can have a bad effect too - I think the best way is to find somewhere in the middle, not going to one extreme or the other.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 2:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I can't pick just one, I agree with helicopter parenting to an extent, but i also think children need to learn some things for themselves.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I dont think i have a specific parenting style but i want my children to grow up in a free and expresive life style so they dont feel locked away.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 4:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• No doubt I am the first one, we have rules in our house!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 5:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I think they are both extremes. If I *had* to pick one or the other, I would pick helicopter parenting. You can let your children learn their own lessons and express themselves freely without letting them be completely without rules and out of control. I think that in the end, free parenting is much more hazerdous to the health and mental well being of the child. I'm my child's parent - it's my job and responsibility - trying to be their friend undermines that.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 5:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Can't pick one. In my opinion, there has to be a happy medium.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2008