How can I spot signs of autism in my 19 month old?

He is 19 months old and still only walks holding on to the things, the only word he says is moma though he does alot of babbling, he spins in circles onthe floor with his head turned to the side, he bites his hand alot, really doesn't like his brother and sister messing with him much, he used to wave and say bye bye then just stopped. We have a appointment with a specialist in October but I would like someone's input now. Thank you.

cmk323

Asked by cmk323 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Thats kind of young to be worrying about that.
    Thebirdlady80

Answer by Thebirdlady80 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• Little to no eye contact
    lining up toys/ placing toys of same shape,color,theme together
    hand flapping past 18 mo
    no pointing to people or objects

the spinning MAY be something. The loss of skills is a sign

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:29 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• According to our pedatrician, a trained doctor can spot the signs at 18 months.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• Get him checked out; the earlier you can get him into special ed, if he needs it, the better. A lot of kids though, especially boys, aren't talking much at 19 months and I don't think it's a big deal if he can't walk well. With my son, we could tell before we brought him home from the hospital that he wasn't right. You know how most babies "hang on" when you pick them up? Cuddle into you, grab on to your shirt or hair, even at a day old? He didn't do that, he got stiff when you picked him up and avoided eye contact. He seemed to interact more with the ceiling fan than with people. The doctor got us into therapy and special ed when at 9 months he still could not hold his head up straight. I don't think your child sounds too bad, but I disagree with birdlady. If they do need special ed, it is never too early to get them going. The sooner, the better.
    MoondancerLA

Answer by MoondancerLA at 11:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• Actually no it is not young to be worrying about that.
    cmk323

Comment by cmk323 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2011

• not too young to show signs at all
    ------------
    autism is lack of communication
    laguage speech is one part of communication but when young look for

not pointing-this is communication before speech
    staring at lights, or spinning things
    when you pick him up, does he hold on, and is he like a sack of potatoes, child should have natural need to hold on
    loss of speech or ability of skills
    eye contact-lack of hard to judge as mother, who to compare to and your child looks at you more than any other

my child started autism signs at this age
    email me if you like
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• My son was was diagnosed at 3-1/2 and I knew from about 14-15 months that he was different from other kids. Outisde of all the lists you can find: the things I noticed most were lack of communication (he never seemed to "want" anything - toys, food, whatever. He'd play with what I gave him, or eat what I gave him, but he had no interest in trying to "get" things) and that he wouldn't imitate anyone. Like you know how if you clap in front of a baby they'll start clapping too? He never did that. He also had no sensitivity to lots of things - heat, cold, pain - none of those things would bother him. He also had ZERO interest in other children. I know that most kids are still in parallel play stage, but he had no interest in even looking at other kids.
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• Unusual responses(avoidance or seeking behavior) to sensory information (sound, sight, taste, smell, touch, deep pressure or movement); not paying any attention to people speaking; avoiding eye contact or looking at your mouth instead of your eyes when you talk; little or not joint attention (doesn't look at your - reference you - to see how you are reacting to a situation; doesn't follow your eye gaze or point to see what you are trying to show him); doesn't attempt to show you things with pointing - vocalizing - eye gaze - referencing to see if you see it too; lack of pre-verbal communicative gestures (pointing, clapping, waving); toe walking; unusual use of toys (lining up, sorting, spinning wheels); little sense of danger; tantrums out of proportion to trigger; difficulty soothing (doesn't reference you to help with emotional regulation); little or no separation anxiety.

KimberlyK

Answer by KimberlyK at 12:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I am glad you are seeing a specialist. As a special education teacher and Autism therapist, I can tell you it is not too young and the early he is identified the better his outcome is. It sounds like there may be some signs there pointing to it.
    firefly679

Answer by firefly679 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I agree that the sooner an evaluation is done the sooner he (and you) can get help. Even if it turns out that there is no cause for concern, it's better to be sure.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2011