I am a new mother of a beautiful 5 day old girl. My milk fully dropped yesterday, but for the past few nights my daughter doesn't seem satiated by my milk. We'll supplement with a little formula and she goes right to sleep. It kills me to give her formula at all. I pumped today to see if I had enough supply and I pumped 2ozs. Any suggestions as to how to satisfy her at night?

Sofiesmom08

Asked by Sofiesmom08 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• STOP SUPPLEMENTING. You're sabotaging yourself. Formula down the toilet, bottles in the trash or at least in storage where you can't get it.

She's not supposed to seem satisfied. Especially not at night. That's what boosts your supply.

Put her to breast, leave her there till she comes off on her own. NO TIMING.

She's going to nurse for 2/3rds of the day. Learn to nurse lying down so you can get some rest.

And what you pump NEVER MEANS A DARNED THING. Put the pump away. Pick it up in six weeks or two weeks before you go back to work, whichever comes first.

Let me tell you the dirty little secret about newborns. Theyr'e very demanding and unlovable. "Bonding" is to keep us from eating them! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I agree stop supplementing. I know it's easy to think that she is not getting enough but, supplementing "stretches" out her stomach and she will need more and more to make her feel full. At five days your baby will want to nurse very very often. Probably atleast every hour. The best thing is to just let her nurse as much and as long as she wants. She is getting enough and the more she nurses the more you will make. Just trust nature!!!!
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• 2 oz seems like it's plenty for a 5 day old. Many babies cluster feed at night and maybe that is what you are seeing. They will go a chunk during the night and it seems like eat non-stop. And that is normal.
    Make sure she is on the same breast long enough so she is getting the rich hind milk that will fill her up. You don't need to offer both breasts each time. I would feed her on one side, when she acts like she is done of fall asleep.. wake her, burp and then put her back on the same breast until she finishes on that side- then offer the second side if she needs it.
    I don't see anything wrong with pumping, but don't base your supply on what you see in your pump, some people can pump a lot and some not much. If you choose to supplement, try expressed milk if you have it. Use a bottle that is made for a breastfed baby (we use Breastflow) Always breastfeed first then give the supplement AND you have to pump too!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• u dont need to supplment,,just keep switching boobs,u can do this by laying down with her next to u and when she is done with one just lean over and put the other in,keep doing this she will be fine,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Believe me, she will not starve. Babies are created to withstand long periods of time without a lot of food so that we can get our whole breastfeeding act together. You will only make as much milk as she demands, so keep her demanding until you can provide all she needs yourself. I didn't pump and offer bottles so it wouldn't confuse my baby, but if you do, it may keep supply up so that when you do need to start pumping to go back to work, you are well prepared. Pumping didn't work out for me when I needed to do it. Good luck with that... And, for the most part, just enjoy it and be at peace, that will work better than anything to make your bf a success.
    mitzicross

Answer by mitzicross at 1:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• First of all~Congrats :o) You didn't mention how long she was sleeping at night. Their tummies are so tiny, the most sleep I ever got was 4 hours at a clip.
    Hang in there, mama. You're doing a GREAT job.
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 2:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Your baby is so normal! My baby woke up every hour or more at that age. I was dilerious until I started sleeping when she slept. Every mom only pumps a couple ounces the first time they pump anyway. A newborn only drinks 2-6oz at a time, so yes she'll be eating ALL the time.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Oh yeah, and get rid of the formula if you truly want to breastfeed.
    MamaChamp

• let me add that for the first 2 weeks of my sons life it seemed all i was doing was BFing every 20 min. or so, it was driving me insane but it will pass, you and your baby will get this down pat. Learn to lay down to feed so you can get some rest, when the baby wants more just put her/him on the other breast...no time limit but at first i did like 15 min one and then let him finish on the other. I remember not getting anything done but feedings, wow you brought back some memories
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• STOP GIVING HER FORMULA. It will only cause your milk production to go down. Sounds to me like she just wants something to suck on to sleep. I just let my daughter use my boobies as a paci and she is just fine.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2008