I am having a horrible toothache that kept me up all night! I cant take the pain anymore!! Can i take any pain medication while im breastfeeding my newborn??

vbaby1

Asked by vbaby1 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Food & Drink

• i would just go to the dentist... medicine wont solve the problem. it will stop the pain for a while, but it wont last long. you need to ask your doctor what kind of medicine you can take when breastfeeding
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• call and ask doc-some pain meds r safe during preg I know but not sure about breastfeeding.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• use adult strength orajel til you can get to your dentist, im sorry youre not feeling well!!
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 2:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Go to your dentist. You could have an abcess or something.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• After my baby was born they gave me some medicine for pain (percocet) and they told me it was fine to breastfeed.... so you should be ok... but you should see a dentist if you want the pain to stop!
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 3:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You can take ibuprofen and tylenol while breast feeding. My dentist reccomends a half dose of each for most pain.

I'm sure your going to call your dentist when the weekend is over so I'll spare you the lecture.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Try gargling with Peroxide....about 1/2 tbsp peroxide mixed with 1/2 tbsp water.......it has helped me in the past in dealing with pain...typically the pain may be caused by an infection, and that will help get rid of it temporarily. Try Clove oil, that might numb the pain as well. :)
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 3:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2008