My 21/2yr old screams! not just a little, he screams if he dosen't get what he wants, then he keeps screaming over and over. How do we get him to stop? We have a baby who needs sleep.

He screams NOOOO! over and over. If he is tired, if he dosen't want to get dressed, if we offer the wrong juice, if his brother is too close to his toys, ect.

oicmommy

Asked by oicmommy at 1:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he is playing the power game w/u, and for a lil bit u may have to hear him scream but he is already screaming so...here is my suggestion: the next time he screams tell him"I won't do anything for u until u ask/speak nice" then ignore him until he does. Ifr he continues screaming go as long as u can ignoring him, just go about your day. If it gets to be too much isolate him and say"let me know when u can control yourself-since right now it is hard for u". The minute he speaks/asks/stops screaming praise him and say how proud u are tht he is being a big boy.It may take some time but it will work if u stick to it.good luck mom.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You just have to ignore it and stop reacting to it. He knows that it bothers you so he does it, lol. He's smart! If he wants something and is screaming, speak nicely to him and say "No huny, when we want something we say ____". Make him ask nicely for it before you give it to him. He'll learn!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You need to ignore him and not give in to what he wants. Put him in his room if he wants to scream, when he's done go in there and say "it's not ok for you to scream because you want something." Do not give him what he wanted!!! He does it b/c you react to it and give in. It will get worse before it gets better.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• The problem is it is not just when he wants something. I have tried both ignoring him and speaking in a whisper. I have put him in time out(that seemed to prolong the screaming spell). I am at my wits end.
    oicmommy

Answer by oicmommy at 2:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I'd just walk away at that point. If you don't, it's only going to make matters worse. You have to show him that acting that way does not earn attention.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I am working on this with DD. It takes TONS of patience, and TIME. First of all, never yell when he yells. Tell him, "You have such a nice voice. Will you speak quietly so I can hear it?" Repeat this each time he yells. When he asks nicely for something, you HAVE to respond immediately. You need to show that you ARE hearing him when he speaks in his nice voice. It takes TONS of repetition, and as I said, patience. Good luck mama!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 3:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I put my toddler in her bedroom and close the door and tell her she cannot come out until she is done having a fit, screaming, or demanding. It works for me but every child is different.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 4:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• my son screams all the tme as well and i ignore it you have too but he gets confused because my friends and parents yell at him to stop so he thinks its ok and it drives me bonkers! but the best thing u can do is just ignore it and put the baby in a quiet place where he/she may not be bothered so he/she can sleep.
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2008