Do We Live In......

A democracy, or a republic? Just asking to see what everyone else thinks.

ColleenF30

Asked by ColleenF30 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It's supposed to be a republic. (Recite the Pledge of Allegience to yourself and think of the words.) On the other hand we are supposedly "bringing democracy to the rest of the world". Are we exporting a democracy we don't actually have ourselves?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Historcally we were formed to not make decisions ourselves concerning laws (democracy) we, instead were framed by our founding Fathers to elect Representatives (republic).
    However, in same ways we have moved more towards a democracy than in others.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• a democracy headed towards communism
    Anonymous

• A democracy headed towards socialism once Obama takes over. Anon 2:11 - I don't see communism happening.
    Anonymous

• I can see both a socialism mixed in with a little communism. It's not going to be pretty that much I know.
    Anonymous

• Am I the only one who actually has hope for our future?
    Anonymous

• A republic is where the people directly vote for their representatives. So in a sense we vote for our senators and congressmen as well as our local officials. It means that we elect officials that represents the constituents. However, a democracy is where every citizen votes for every law and policy. We have this only when we vote for initiatives at the ballot box. So in a sense we do have a little bit of both but democracy does not happen over all in the U.S. over all. For example, in California voting on Prop 8 is an example of democracy in action. The people decided law/policy directly. And our pledge to the country says: "And for the REPUBLIC" - so case in point : The U.S. is a republic. Easy question and for those who said democracy please go back to elementary school. It always surprises me how truly uneducated people are.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• cont..The program Are you smarter than a fith grader, most who have posted would not be in fact smarter than a fith grader. God help us if any one you, with a few exceptions, homeschool.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Republic.
    ***************************************
    There is absolutly nothing in Obama's plans what is like communism. I grow up in a place named USSR ,so I know what communism and socialism are . People who are saying that Obama wants to take U.S. back to socialism and communism are just uneducated ,hateful people.
    Anonymous

• Sadly I knew what the majority of the answers would be. In one of Obamas speeches he mentions "this great democracy we live in". I just had to ask what everyone else thought.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2008