What do I put in my diaper bag?

I'm a new mom, and trying to prepare everything. I was just wondering what moms usually keep in their diaper bag, that I may not think of

lilmommy1020

Asked by lilmommy1020 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everything you could possibly need.

Diapers (duh! lol)
    Wipes
    Bottle (I do a bottle of water, and bring the formula with me so it will not go bad being un-refridgerated)
    Extra pacifier (those things are tricky - you will lose them all the time!)
    Extra change of clothes
    Burp rag
    A toy or 2 (generally most effective when baby reaches play age - around 4 months)
    Rash cream (I have a travel size tube of Desitin)

Pretty sure thats all I carry....some mom's may have other things though.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• When my daughter was first born I had:
    Nursing pads and a clean shirt and bra...SOOOOO IMPORTANT!
    Lanisoh ointment
    Snacks for me and a bottle of water
    Change of clothes for her
    3-4 diapers
    5 wipes and squirt bottle
    2 receiving blankets
    Keep it simple.

navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• you'll need the obvious, diapers, a small package of wipes (or put some in a ziplock), at least one change of clothes, rash cream like A&D ointment when needed, baby tylenol (just in case), a receiving blanket, if you're nursing you'll need a blanket for coverage and privacy, if not, formula and a bottle or two. throw a magazine in, while baby's eating, a bottle of water & some crackers, too. for you. sometimes even we adults get cranky when hungry or thirsty.keep a couple of bucks in there, too. you'll find you start carrying just the diaper bag, & your wallet ends up in there. as the baby ages, you'll just throw a diaper in your purse. i used to have a small bag (for running to the market), and a big one, for day-long outings. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 1:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• a nose sucker,diaper cream,a few toys,qtips(this helps get nasty buggers as well) an extra outfit,a pacifir, infant tylenal, baby socks,thermometer, nail clipers and a file,an extra hather shot record,hand sanitizer
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• you will know when you go somewhere and dont have that omne thing that you think is most important until you find something else you find missing. i always had:
    diapers
    wipes/ cloths
    bottles
    formula/ breastmilk b/m bags
    burp rags
    lots of clothes (onesies help!)
    blankets
    water
    money
    lots more... it will become your purse so just add all that stuff you got in there too.
    and i will ahve to agree with navy-wife it is important to have an extra bra and shirt... maybe 2
    lydiamama

Answer by lydiamama at 1:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I carry a purse and put in a few diapers, wipes, the things I'd normally carry in my purse. Her health shot record and insurance cards. You don't need the whole house. Just take the necessities
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 1:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• For a newborn:
    Diapers
    Wipes
    Change of clothes for the season
    Changing pad
    Burp rags
    Bottle with water and formula if your baby is formula fed
    I had a bottle and hand held pump
    Light blanket
    Pacifier if they take one
    After a few blow outs we learned to keep little bags that are for dirty diapers (we use them for diapers or poopy clothes)
    And some of those presoaped washclothes (blow outs can be MESSY!)
    Hand sanitizer
    And Mortin (for us, not the baby!)

For my 5 months old
    now we have almost all of the same stuff but we also keep bibs, Infant tylenol and small toys
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Wipes
    Diapers
    Boudreaux's or some type of diaper rash cream
    extra pacifiers
    nursing pads
    a pack of crackers or some type of snack for mommy!
    a pacifier clip
    bibs
    burp cloths (2)
    receiving blanket
    extra outfit(s)
    a hat if it's windy
    a couple of toys
    2 washcloths (never know if you might run out of wipes or something & need to wet a washcloth to use)

It sounds like a lot, but I've needed every bit of it!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 1:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I forgot to add the Mylicon (for gas) and Infant's Tylenol and/or Motrin. You won't be able to use the Tylenol or Motrin for a while, but the Mylicon was a MUST-HAVE with my son!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 2:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• To the other answers I would add quart size ziplock bags. These come in handy for dirty diapers when you're at someone elses home owithout a proper diaper pail or just without a trash can and for those dirty clothes.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2008