Would you let your child play a game with a M rating?

Santa in NC brought my son a PSP (he was with his dad this Christmas) and he got a Tom Clancy game. I am not 100% sure which game it is but I know the language is not the best. He is not even allowed to play with guns (expect Nerf) and now he has a game were he is blowing people away. Would I be wrong to take the game away?? He has two other games already plus he has a new game here. Not to mention the gift cards he has that he could get PSP stuff with. I am at a loss on what to do.

Would I be wrong to take the game away. That is all he has wanted to do since he got it. Do I need to just shut up and deal since this was a gift from his "father".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids dad gives them stuff that is not age appropiate and I just put it up in the top of the closet for when they are olde3r (in this case I'd return and trade for a more appropiate game) and go on with life. When possible and appropiate I also talk to dad as to why that was not okay game
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Your house, your rules! Take the game back to wherever he got it and trade it for another (or contact the company to see if you can mail it in for a return). My 5 year old is only allowed to play age appropriate games....E for everyone, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I don't think u need to let him have it just because it is from his dad especially since it isn't something u want ds to have. Did his father know about your veiws on mature stuff when he gave ds the game? if yes I would make his dad explain to him why ds cannot have it. Or u can let ds play it and monitor him.Alot of people think violent games cause kids to desensitize or act violently-I think it depends on the child and his parents how he handles being exposed to it.kwim?trust me ds is already being exposed to stuff like that-unless u are w/him 24/7 and at least this way u can be aware and discuss it w/him.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I agree with the above your ex should know better but sense he lives with you I would sit him down and say this. Look I know your very excited about this gift but I don't wan't you having games like that , it was made for older kids. You can trade it for a game for your age and later when your older and on your own you get to make the desions.
    Ianmommy4

Answer by Ianmommy4 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• No. They're rated M for a reason. That's the video game equivelent of letting your child watch a rated-R movie, but in this case, it means that their character would be lead by your small child to DO things that would be in a rated R movie.

My sister, assistant manager of a Game Stop, would hate you all for even asking this question. She's not even allowed to sell you an M game if you say it's for a minor.

YES, you have every right to take away the game, go trade it in for a new game and tell his father to please buy more age-appropriate games for your son in the future.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 5:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• There is a reason it's rated M, it's not suitable for children, I would kill his father and then i would take the game back to the store and get one that appropriate for his age.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I think the PSP is a game system geared for older children. At least 14-18 yrs old. I have a 10 yr. old who wanted one. I refused to buy it for him. They have the internet at their fingertips. Mature games are not for children, the mature means, mature. My children want games that are Mature, but are only allowed to have E, for everyone. It is our job to protect our children, and giving them access to the world and everything in it at their fingertips is not good parenting. You as his mother have a right to limit what is exposed to your child. If they give out too much info or visit a porn site, who is going to stop them. Look at all the children missing. You don't want that. I know you love your child or it would not even be a question in your mind. Do the research. Take charge and put your foot down. You may just save your child's life.
    kris_orchid

Answer by kris_orchid at 1:02 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• No way. I was watching my step-nephews and they were playing Grand Theft Auto (or something similar, I'm not too sure) and I couldn't believe what I say. Two reasonably nice kids shooting at sops and yelling DIE! I asked my MIL about it (they're her grand kids) and she says it's none of her business, if it's OK with their moms she's not going to say no. I would never allow my son to play them. Isn't M the worst rating they can get? I doubt it's rated M for a few bad words. Trust your instincts, this is something worth putting your foot down on.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2008