At what week can i hear the baby's heartbeat using a stethiscope? (sp?)

I tried today with no luck.... I'm almost 27 weeks. I get scared when i dont feel her all the time... so I wanted to listen

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• With dopplers, I know it is around 13 wks or so. But stethoscopes are a lot less sensitive. You would probably only be able to capture it if she has her back right up to your stomach. At 27 wks, you should probably start doing fetal movement counts, and if you don't get 10 within 2 hrs, you need to call your doctor. Lay down on your left side after drinking some juice or pop and count every little movement you feel.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• u cannot w/a reg stethascope only a doppler. You can rent them from places or buy one.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:32 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You CAN with a regular Stethoscope, I did at 34 weeks, but you have to know what you are listening for. It is really faint, and it is difficult to hear with all of your other sounds (bowl sounds, rushing fluids and your heartbeat)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I have a fetoscope(which IMO is really not much different from a stethoscope). I'm 33 weeks and I can hear alright but it's pretty faint.

And you certainly don't NEED a doppler, people were listening to baby heart beats far before dopplers existed.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• That's the problem with trying to hear baby's heartbeat all the time. If you can't hear it you get upset, and baby doesn't need stress. Unless you've had serious problems, baby is fine!
    Anonymous

• With a friend of mine, we could hear it toward the end of her pregnancy (I can't remember when exactly), but with mine, we never could. So frustrating! We were really hoping to hear it, too. We tried all three of our stethoscopes (hubby and I are/have been in the medical field). If you want to spend some extra money, you can try a fetoscope, which is shaped differently. When you'll be able to hear it is different for everyone, but it will work better than a stethoscope. Those kits that you can buy at maternity stores where you can hear the heartbeat (similar to a doppler) in my experience and that of people I know, tend not to work, so don't waste the money.
    At 27 weeks, you won't feel her all the time. Try not to stress, and just enjoy before her feet are lodged in your ribs! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Anon- don't be an idiot and especially say something like that. As a matter of fact, I SHOULD be worried. we lost a baby at 29 weeks so don't worry about WHY I'm listening for heartbeats or how many times!!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Also, when baby starts getting a little bigger, and you can tell what is where (you will be able to feel where the back, butt, and head are) it will help you know WHERE to place the Stethoscope so that you have a higher chance of hearing. Just give it a little longer.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2008