My 15 month old won't eat anything! He just throws his food on the floor and complains. Any suggestions on how to help the little guy eat more?

Kyla123

Asked by Kyla123 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as you are offering a variety of foods you should be ok. Ive found out some kids have smaller appetites than others or are pickier than others. It took 7 mos of offering veggies before my 2yr old would eat any. She likes brocolli and thats it for veggies hey its a start right..

Is he just refusing dinner ( most of the time dinner is the hardest meal because their bellies are small might be full from eating all day) what does he eat for breakfast or lunch. how much milk is he getting?? Does he still get a bottle. Kids tend to drink more milk from a bottle than a cup so maybe he is drinking too much. I had to work with a nutritionist with my DD and these were some of the things she asked me. Also she told me sometimes they will refuse meals and that its ok becaus most of the time they make up for it at breakfast ( for example if they refuse to eat dinner)..

luvhubandbabys

Answer by luvhubandbabys at 3:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• My 15 mo doesn't eat dinner well but mostly other meals he does a good job eating. He's not going to starve himself. Just keep offering a variety and when he's hungry enough he'll eat. Unless he is going entire days without eating anything, toddlers are just weird eaters!
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I agree, I had the same problem with mine.... I even made an appointment with the DR..... he said not to worry as long as he was drinking and eating a little he will be fine.....it's when they don't drink that's when you should be concerned. I would put mine in the high chair and put just about everything on there and they will eat when they are hugry... I also noticed that when they were cutting teeth they wouldn't eat.... so I would check his mouth and see if any new teeth are coming...
    NothinShockin

Answer by NothinShockin at 4:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• Agree with everyone else. Plus you can't look at a day's intake of food. They say to go by a week. For example, my son ate 2 buddy fruits, goldfish and a waffle yesterday. Thats IT. Then today he's eating NON-STOP!!!! It's one those things where if he eats bad one day you can bet the next couple days they will eat more!
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• What I did when my 18 month old goes through phases like that is I start by only give him a small amount of one part of the meal at a time so he doesn't have anything to play in. If he eats well, he earns back the right to have all his food in front of him at once if he does worse, I sit and spoon feed him. He's never really spit anything out for a reason that wasn't legit IE too hot or spicy or hard on his teeth. The few times he's tried refusing because he didn't want what I was serving so he could have something else, for one, I didn't give in and two I took what he spit out and kept putting it right back in his mouth. Just keep in mind that they slow way way down eating sometimes while growing and can't eat everything on their plates. Just pick your battles wisely and stick to your guns. I'm really proud of my son's table manners today because I know I worked hard and misses several warm meals to teach him these things.
    ReiReally

Answer by ReiReally at 2:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• I know what you're talking about. My son does the same thing most days. I agree with everyone too. Toddlers are picky and can be difficult to feed. Just always offer him stuff. Even if my son only takes in a ltitle bit of food, I always offer him everything I eat and also his food. Usually he turns his chin up, but sometimes he tries it and sometimes he is just thirsty rather than hungry. Honestly, there's not much you can do...just offer him stuff. As long as he's eating and drinking a little he'll be fine. If he's not crying for food or milk then he's fine. Also, my son is more willing to eat foods that have fruit mixed in it so try that (like today he ate black beans and quinoa mixed with banana).
    walkintherain

Answer by walkintherain at 1:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2011