Do you have a friend who is a really nice person but their house is soooo untidy you just can't bring yourself to drink a glass of water at their house ? how do you turn down their offer when they offer you a plate of food without making them feel bad ?

surrender

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• say i'm not hungry
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I don't have friends, but I've been in homes that i wouldn't sit down in and would die of thirst before drinking anything that was offered. I couldn't eat at houses like that.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• i think ur talking bout my sister...lol her house is soooooo nasty. i think each time i have gone there i will do her dishes. you can't put anything down and can barely sit on the furniture. i used to be a pack rat til my honey came around...he has shown me the light and there's no need for the junk. i would say the same as mscamp...say ur not hungry at the moment...or take a drink and keep in the car...lol or do like i tell my sis..."clean up after urself and throw this crap away!!!" lmao
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't care what they pick up on...I wouldn't eat there. Just keep saying No thanks.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I have a friend like that. I'm pretty sure she thinks I have an eating disorder. I am apparently NEVER hungry LOL
    I also always pick up a drink at the store right before I get there so I have my own.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 3:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I am that friend with the messy house where you probably wouldn't want to accept any food. I understand. Just say you are a germaphobe. I had someone tell me that and I understood that it was due to the horrifying state of my kitchen. I would rather hear, "I'm a germaphobe" and understand that, okay, my kitchens horrid and they are the clean type and dont want to eat on my dishes, than to hear, "No way, you're kitchen is so nasty I wouldnt eat your food." Trust me, we know who we are and we know how bad our houses are. We live here, remember? Just cause we live in our filthy houses doesn't make us dumb. We are immune to our own mess, but wouldnt want necessarily want to eat in someone's mess, either. Stick with the germophone comment and no feelings get hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I have a very weak stomach, so I just avoid going there... I will NOT let our boys spend the night at their friends if I know their house is disgusting. It's a health hazard to me, and our boys are okay with it. There's no reason that someones home should be that gross.
    I have also offered a hand to the friends I know with the gross house , but not like that, and they never took me up on it, so oh well...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I'd avoid going there all together if possible
    My mom had a friend whose house was NASTY beyond imagination,think rotten food on the counters and clothes all moldy on the floor.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• BYOF, (bring your own fork)

Try and put it off as long as you can by saying you're not hungry but eventually she's not gonna buy it so when she offers you a plate wait til she turns her back and whip out your own fork. like a plastic one or something. I had an aunt like that once and she was so generous so we started to bring our own soda's in the house with us so if she offered us a drink we could say "oh we have our own" and then we started bringing our own plastic forks. She was so old she never caught on.

Then one year one of the younger members in our family blurted out when she was asked if she wanted anything to eat "oh, no not in your house - it's nasty"
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• That is hard to do without offending, but just be polite and tell them you are in a diet, a perpetual one.....

Answer by older at 3:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2011