I need some advice

My 4 month old is just now getting over an upper respiratory infection. In the past 2 days it seems she is just upset about everything. When its time time eat, she cries. When its time to wake up, she cries. When its time to wake up, she cries. At night, instead of self soothing and taking a pacifier, she cries. She has been wanting to nurse everytime she gets upset and its starting to get a little aggravating. Does anyone have advice?? I would appreciate any at all.

Annette4797

Asked by Annette4797 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She probably has alot of pain. My daughter used to be that way to the point I dreaded when she would wake up. I always used to say how can she cry for an hour after sleeping for two hours. I never understood and I nursed for 2 1/2 years. I know how aggrivating it is and she is looking for comfort and you are it!!!
    Are you sure she is getting enough milk? Does she have any fluid in her ears and puss pockets on her tonsils and in her ears? This was the problem with my daughter and never knew until I visited an ENT.
    If I can help you with anything else, please feel free to contact me.
    lovemy2kidsfor

Answer by lovemy2kidsfor at 2:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Poor baby- she is just probably still not feeling well, and needs the comfort of nursing. If you take a moment to calm your self before picking her up, and before nursing her, and tell yourself that this time will pass so quickly, you might not feel as aggravated. Baby's crying is her way of complaining that she doesn't feel well, and needs extra loving and comfort. Try to remember what u feel like when u r sick,and just want to be soothed. Think of nursing her as her chicken soup! Ihope she feels better soon!
    livetolaughlove

Answer by livetolaughlove at 2:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• If she had antibiotics for her infection, her tummy may hurt, and this could be why she instinctively feels that sore tummy means hunger and therefore must nurse, even though you know she can't be hungry. Perhaps you should take her back to the doctor to make sure the infection is all cleared up and have her ears and throat checked.

Answer by Bmat at 2:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Lovemy2kidsfor: She is getting enough milk, I have always had a great supply and even more so now that is wanting to nurse all the time. The doc said her ears and throat looked good. He wouldn't give me anything to give her though, says she is to young. Thank you for the help.

LivetoLaughLove : I know she isn't feeling well, she is usually such a happy baby. I stay pretty calm when she cries because I don't want her to feel me being uptight. I'll continue with the extra loing and comfort!! Thanks.

BMAT: She didn't have any antibiotics. I wanted her to but the doc said at 4 months old they just don't give antibiotics. So she has had some Tylenol. I think I will take her back to the doctor tomorrow to see if things are getting better. Everything seems to be getting better but you know things are not always as they seem. Thank you
    Annette4797

Answer by Annette4797 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• This is normal. And part of why nursing is so beneficial.. It's okay to allow her as much access as she needs (and make no mistake- right now she NEEDS it!) to the breast. She'll calm down on using you as a pacifier when she's feeling better.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• She's sick, and the only comfort she can get is nursing. She's smart, because keeping well hydrated is one of the best ways to beat a cold or respiratory infection. They're incredibly dehydrating. Just consign yourself to the fact that this IS temporary, and as bad as you feel with her constantly wanting to nurse, for her it's worse. She's in pain (sinus pain), she's having trouble breathing, she probably has body aches, and she doesn't know WHAT is going on. Your doc is right for not giving abx ... she probably has a virus, and abx don't do anything for viruses. If she doesn't have a fever, try nursing her in the bathtub. The warm environment will soothe her poor little muscles, and the steam will make her sinuses feel slightly better.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 4:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• (continued)
    Cold medicines aren't advised for such a little one, so try to stay away from them. Take it easy on yourself, don't plan to do anything much until she's well again. Take a deep breath, this is temporary, and the antibodies from your milk will help her get over it more quickly than if she was getting formula.

Oh, and if you have to suction her nose, loosen her nasal secretions with a squirt of breastmilk in her nose (either express into a cup and use a dropper, or if you've got the aim, just express straight from the breast) The good fats in the breastmilk will help lubricate the passages.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 4:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You know, her tonsils or throat could be hurting her, and she feels the need to relieve it by nursing. Or her sinuses could be hurting too. Check to see that it isn't an ear infection. The two sometimes go hand in hand.

A way to relieve the pain for her is to get her some more fluids; that helps clear up ear infections or infections of any kind. Try feeding her a little water in a bottle.
    averillholistix

Answer by averillholistix at 5:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Thank you everyone for the advice. I don't want to seem like I was being selfish when I said I was getting aggravated with her nursing so often. It does get aggravating because she seems unconsolable but....I do it because I know it makes her feel better. She has done better tonight. She played a little by herself and nursed and went to sleep!!
    Annette4797

Answer by Annette4797 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You don't sound selfish, I understand completely. I'm a mom of 3 who's been there, done that. It's hard when your baby is sick because you get sooooo "touched out." I nursed all three of mine, the youngest until he was 20 mos. I really do understand. Congratulations, you're completely normal. :)
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 12:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2008