Has anyone had to put their child under a JIPS Court Order? Has it worked for your child?

Squirrel1001

Asked by Squirrel1001 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Can you explain what a JIPS order is? Is it a juvenile justice type order or a foster care type order? I really have personal experience with either but thought it might help.
    Wiggles_GA

Answer by Wiggles_GA at 7:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• We filed with the Court for a JIPS (Juvenile in Need of Protective Services) due to our 16 year old son's self-destructive actions and suicide attempts under the Wis Stats - uncontrollable juvenile. He has rules of supervision issued by the County of Social Services, but he is living at home. He is under supervision for 1 year and must do drug testing, counseling, etc. Hope this helps explain the process we are going through. Thanks!
    Squirrel1001

Answer by Squirrel1001 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I have no real experience with this. My husband & I are both state employees. He works with Juvenile Justice. The state will do the bare minimum needed for the child.

The most important aspect is to stay involved with your child's counseling and progress. Don't let the state take over. His actions have effected every member of your family. Counseling for the family could help in this transition & help him to know the family supports him & wants to help him improve.
    Wiggles_GA

Answer by Wiggles_GA at 8:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2008