My daughter is about 14 months and she is walking funny help!!!

My daughter is about 14 months and she has been walking since 11 months. i am concerned that she is not walking properly. she looks funny and her feet don't fit in any shoes. I have addressed it with her doctors but they don't seem too worried about it. what should I do?

samanthapaige11

Asked by samanthapaige11 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My guess is that her feet are very tall/thick. This is different than having a wide width. If so, you won't be able to get MaryJane type shoes on her and many other types will be hard to get on. Your best bet is wide shoes with velcro or laces. Stride Rite, Vans, and Keds make wide shoes for toddlers, I'm sure other brands do too. My baby had this problem too. At around two years old, the feet start to "thin" out and regular width shoes will fit.

As for the walking strange... you don't give any details. If her feet point out to the side (sort of a reverse pigeon-toe), that's normal. All toddlers do it and outgrow it.
    If her legs seem bowed, that's normal too.
    If she lands with her foot flat on the ground and maybe even picks her foot up flat instead of rolling off of her toes - that's normal too. She'll develop a proper heel-toe gait over time.
    If she only walks on her tip-toes and you NEVER see her put her heel on the ground, have your docto
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• wait and see what happens. It's pretty early and she probably just started walking. I tought my son walked funny at that age too. Doctors said he was fine. I still worried and thought that if he was still walking that way by his next check-up, I would bring it up again. He wasn't walking funny by then though.He's fine.I just can't keep up with him now,lol. If your daughter is still walking funny by the next check up, bring it up again.
    callico

Answer by callico at 1:05 AM on Jul. 20, 2008