Buying a used crib....?

My baby's grandpa just called me telling me that someone is selling a cherry wood crib in a garage sale in his neighborhood. Apparently it was 500 dollars when the people bought it 4 years ago, and it's still in great condition. They are selling it for 50 dollars. He is willing to buy it for us...What do you think? Is it ever a good idea to buy a used crib? I'm only 11 weeks so this is kind of early to be thinking about it anyway but maybe it's a good deal?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Why not? Check the brand/model on the manufacturer's website to make sure it hasn't been recalled first....
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 3:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• As long as it's not chipped, pieces aren't missing, and it still follows all safety regulations, it's fine. I don't know if I ever would from someone I didn't know, but I bought our crib off of a friend, it's a little over 2 years old and still on the market so I knew it was okay. We just checked to make sure everything was there, and there weren't any chips or anything on it.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• i bought mine used and im not complaining.. just make sure to clean it when you get it... i bought mine from my cousin though
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I'd get it. Get a fresh mattress. Wipe it down with a disinfectant solution just in case. It wouldn't hurt to make sure it hasn't been recalled, but it sounds like a wonderful deal.

Answer by Bmat at 3:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• holy crap yes get it. lol mine was free from best friend.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• It's probably fine, just check it out thoroughly, and like prittykitty said, check to make sure it hasn't been recalled. At 4 years old, it should meet current safety standards, so you shouldn't need to do the soda can test (where you see if a soda can will fit between the bars.... if it does, then it's not safe).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• its not a good idea to buy a used crib cause you dont know if there is anything wrong with it or if it has any recalls
    babyzawojskyj08

Answer by babyzawojskyj08 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• If there are no recalls, go for it... Though if you go for a used crib, its better if you know the person. Then you can make sure nothing is wrong with it. Good luck :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Personally I would never buy a use crib.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2008