What is it like to live with an alcholoic?

My boyfriend is a functioning alcholoic. He is a very good person to me and my kids. We are talking about possibly getting a house together.

angie729

Asked by angie729 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• My hopefully soon to be ex is a functional acholic who is successful in the work world and he use to be sweet but as time passes and he drinks more he becomes abusive. I am trying to get out of this situation and everyone thinks he is the all american it is hard to prove he is an alchohalic and abuses me.
    Anonymous

• Don't do that to your kids. An alchohlic is not something they should be exposed to. Even if he's a great guy. When he's in you home with you you will see how deep the problems run.
    Anonymous

• i have lived with a acholic all my life( my dad) and i'll tell you right now.. it sucks... doesnt matter how nice this they are "MOST" of the time... the drinking gets worse everyday... and it pulls my whole familly down and apart.... :( becarfull.. dont be haisty
    Anonymous

• My last husband was a great guy when sober. He was a periodic alcoholic. (every 2 months or so would binge drink) He was wild and crazy and wonderful around me and my kids. We even lived together a year before we got married then KATIE BAR THE DOOR...everything changed. I was then HIS WIFE and he demanded me to be dutiful and if not he would go into crazy rages and be violent. It was like something I had never seen before. He put holes in the walls of my house. he beat up neighbors for looking at him. He got us run out of town after town. He couldn't hold a job even though when he had one he made excellent money and showered us with things. If you like chaos and drama and walking on eggshells and sleeping with one eye open and locking your kids in their room at night so he won't sneak in and bother them then yeah, have at it. Otherwise, NO WAY!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• being the child of an alcoholic father all I can say is please, please don't put your kids through that. You may think they don't know or comprehend. I can assure by my 5th birthday I was WELL aware. Seek help. At minimum find an Al-Anon meeting, you will learn a lot of helpful tools to move fwd with your life
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:15 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• How To Live With an Alcoholic | eHow.com
    How to Live With an Alcoholic. Alcoholism is called a 'family disease' because it affects the drinker and everyone close to the drinker.
    www.ehow.com/how_2050738_live-alcoholic.html -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:36 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Discover Alcoholism in Marriage and Learn to Live With an ...
    Jun 5, 2007 ... Discover Alcoholism in Marriage and Learn to Live With an ... Discover Alcoholism in Marriage and Learn to Live With an Alcoholic You Love ...
    ezinearticles.com/?Discover-Alcoholism-in-Marriage-and-Learn-to-Live-With-an-Alcoholic-You-Love&id=594036 -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• "Dont do it. Functional or not the disease is progressive and it will end up affecting the entire family unit even down to the pet dog! Think long and hard before you do this to yourself and your kids.
    h2obare

Answer by h2obare at 2:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• my FIL is a alcoholic and an ugly drunk at that, he cusses out my husband and tells him he's a piece of shit and he has told my son who is almost 1 he looks stupid because he didn't like the way we cut his hair. He harps on MIL about her mom who is deceased degrading the wonderful woman and to me he tells me I would never be good enough for his son and that his grandkids deserve a better mother, but yet he has also fondled me when he was drunk and my husband nearly punched normally I would have let him hit him but we can't afford bail. So my argument is not all alcoholics are great and I believe we got dealt the worst one.
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 2:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I have been married 4 8 yrs my husband was a very heavy drinker caused me and my kids lot of heart break he was very abussive 2 me rite from the start over the years it just got worse everyday b4 work after wk would take our last dollar 2 buy a beer a year ago this month he was picked up 4 dwi costs us more money but he didnt learn his lesson would go c his po after he had been drinkin almost went 2 jail but instead they put him on a bracelet that monitered alchol if he drank so he stoped that was almost as bad as the drinking. All im trying 2 tell u is that if i had it 2 do all over i wouldnt have married him. But thank god everyday it is getting better he now is on antibuse and has been sobber 4 7mths i think the dwi was yhe best thing 2 happen 2 us. Everyday i worry about the day he gets off probation cause i know he will go rite back 2 drinking and this time i dont know how bad it will be. I pray i can make it through it.
    grussell

Answer by grussell at 2:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2008