Give me some support - please! I need encouragement right now!

My 12 yr old DD has epilepsy and bi-polar. She has had it for 0ver 10 yrs. She's been having more and more grand mal seizures and this morning she and her 2 sisters ages 6 and 8 were doing dishes with her. My 12 yr old had a grand mal seizure. My SO and I were going through paper work in our bedroom. The 8 yr old immediately broke my 12 yr old DD's fall and stayed with her. My 6 yr old ran to us and told us she was seizing. It lasted 5 minutes. She started to come out of it and then had 2 more seizures. We ran her to the ER and on the way she had another one. That makes 4 seizures in less than 20 minutes. My other 2 kids handled it all really well. How do I let them know what a great job they did? I feel none of my kids have a childhood b/c they have to be so knowledgeable about all this stuff. Did I mention the 6 yr old has epilepsy too? I HATE that they have to go through this!!

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Aw, Bless you all. I am very sorry that your family is having this hard time. I hope that the doctors can figure out how to help your daughter not have the seizures. Hug all of the children and tell them just what you wrote here, that they showed amazing maturity and caring by helping their sister and family in such a way. They are special people, and they obviously have special parents to be so responsible at such a young age.

Answer by Bmat at 3:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I really feel for you. I dont really know what else to say but just hang in there...for the kids, maybe do something really fun for them, like Chuch e Cheeses or even Disney World...children at that age really like anything that gives them some sort of attention.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• bless you. Tell them that they did a great job and PLEASE have your daughters med levels checked. B/c she is 12 and she is going through puberty the meds do not work the same and she may need a diff. dosage and/or diff medicines.
    I hope that she is okay and will be sending positive energy to you and yours.
    I am VERY impressed with your daughters they did better than most adults would.
    5+ minutes -- I'd also discuss diastat or that other new med that is too long a seizure.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• hang in there, momma, it will get better
    i can't imagine what you are going through right now, you are oviously a very caring and loving parent to have raised such daughters
    i think 12yo meds maybe need to be checked? maybe the bi-polar meds is counter-acting the epilespy meds? or maybe since she is getting older her hormones are making everything all sorts of wacky?
    her dr will be able to figure it all out and get her back on track
    good luck, momma
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 7:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• how hard for all of you. (((hugs))))
    all i know to do is just tell the younger sibs how great they were with it and give them great big hugs
    lol

good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• your children are amazing!!!! Maybe treat them to a special date with mom and dad. Because they handle things like mature adults, make it an "adult date". Dress up dinner, and movie perhaps.
    Good luck to you.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Thank you ladies! I am always calm during the storm - but freak out afterwards! lol We have always instilled in our DD's that they need to look out for each other. My 12 yr old has had her med levels checked and they are good. She was on bi-polar meds, but they slowed her down so much that she is at a 1st grade level in school so they took her off of it. She is scheduled for an EEG on Tuesday at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. She will be there all day and possibly be admitted for a few days for further observation. Keep us in your prayers....I hope that we can get the seizures to stop or at least subside some.

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I am thinking of you and your family.
    I know you might think this is strange but have you looked into a nutritional suppliment? Sometimes you have to think outside the box and look into other alternatives. I know of families who have been in your position and due to a nutritional suppliment they are doing well today. The suppliment does not claim to cure but to feed your body the very best nutrition it requires daily. If you are interested in hearing more, please contact me.
    lovemy2kidsfor

Answer by lovemy2kidsfor at 9:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• It is something you just deal with it. My dad had seizure for as long as i can remember And i always knew what to do and then my lil brother started having them when he was twelve. It is really hard but you should explain to them that everyone has a family. And in that family everything will not be perfect. But you do have each other and tell them that they are true heros. b/c every time they put there childhood aside for a grown up situation they might just be saving a life. All peace to you and your family.
    hallehazel

Answer by hallehazel at 12:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2008