When are you supposed to ween of the bottle?

How old is too old for a bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always thought if they can walk then they are too old to have a bottle in hand. If it's a necessary thing at bedtime then and only then (NAPS INCLUDED). Then it should be taken away gradually before 18months.
    biscotti53

Answer by biscotti53 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I would say that they can have it as long as they are drinking formula. I would never put anything besides formula into thier bottles, if they are old enough to drink something else (water, juice or milk) they are able to learn to drink out of a sippy cup. That way, when you bottle break them, it's an easier transition.... also... don't let them play and drink thier bottle.... make it a sit down activity. They will be much less interested in having to sit down with a bottle, than getting to play and eat....
    BabyDio

Answer by BabyDio at 4:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I think 9 months is the perfect time to introduce the sippy cup, that way they can be off the bottle by 12 months.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 6:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• WHEN THE CHILD IS READY!!! I don't understand this obsession with taking bottles away from babies. My son had his bottle till he was ready to give it up which was last week and he is 2.5 years old.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Mine stopped takeing a bottle at 6 months she wanted a cup.
    kenziesmom2006

Answer by kenziesmom2006 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• A friend of mine just weaned her baby off of he bottle about a week ago she is 13 months old. She did it cold turkey she gave her dd her last bottle at bed time then the next orning she gave her a sip cup and she didn't even really notice. May work for you may not i think it all depends on the baby.
    KeagansMom08

Answer by KeagansMom08 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2008