Why does my mother in law not approve of me after being married for 30 years to her son??

At first it bothered me, but now I really don't care. But it really bothers my husband now.

pinkcardinal

Asked by pinkcardinal at 9:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• Wow, I'm not alone. Mine has been like that and we've been together over 11 years. Its so wierd to me, because I've never done anything to her, their family or my husband. I also have come to terms with it and I think my husband has to but its put a hinder on their relationship. Have you tried talking to her about it?
    CarolinaQ

Answer by CarolinaQ at 9:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• Hard to say. Maybe he is still her baby and nobody is good enough for him.

Answer by Bmat at 9:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• Because MILs are bee-otches.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• because you married his son its a long chain of MILs thinking that no women is good enough for their son (goes back centuries )
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• OMG, That's my MIL! We've been married 28 yrs and she STILL disapproves! Thank God I'm not alone!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• My mother in law died when my daughter was born 13 yrs ago she was just 2 days old. She told me I was marrying a really tough cookie and that she didn't approve of her sons behavior. I thought maybe she didn't like me but she pulled me to the side and said don't let him break your heart your too good for him. I'm really sorry you in law doesn't see what a wonderful lady you are.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• When I was married to my husband , his mother hated me but she tortured me most of the time. She always put me down or said I was to dumb. I feel that she thinks she should have picked his wife not him. And because she wasn't involved with it , she hated me. I don't know why some moms do that with their sons. Maybe they just can't let go. Your guess is at good as mine
    madienana

Answer by madienana at 9:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• Man I thought maybe after 10 yrs it would get better!!! My MIL is the same way. I have been married for 6yrs and I think come on women dont you realize how much I love your son and how devoted I am to him and how devoted we are to eachother? I never disrespect her in anyway. Or any of the other family members. I try my hardest to please her because I want to respect her for my sons sake because that is his grandmother. Pretty much like what "madieana" said I think they want to pick out the wife for there sons.
    rrsjna

Answer by rrsjna at 9:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• I am so THANKFUL for my MIL after seeing these horror stories. I'm sorry you ladies have such hateful women as MILs.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2011

• Some people just have a different view of who you really are and never try to get to know you.. That could be the reason.. Good luck.. And let your husband know you are fine with it and that it shouldn't bother him as long as the both of you love each other what she thinks doesn't matter
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2011