If my baby seems to have milk rash, does that mean he should avoid eating dairy?

HIs face has broken out in a rash which cleared up after about 30-45 minutes after trying milf-based formula and dribbling it on his face and after having some mashed potatoes made with cow's milk which also dripped on his skin some. So now we are nervous he should not have milk at all... which isn't an issue right now, as I can substitute soy formula and avoid milk entirely. But he is 7 months old and I do want to try CHEESES and YOGURTS soon and wonder if I should worry about those too... I will avoid milk until after 12 months old, but what about cheese and yogurt- is that safe? Does milk rash on the face mean he should not eat/drink dairy at all?

MamaBear678

Asked by MamaBear678 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Have you tried goat's mik? My son was sensitive too but that was a great transition for him.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I would not be so quick to blame it on the milk. Usually a milk allergy shows itself with upset tummies and things. During the winter our skin tends todry out, making it more vulnerable, his skin is probably just sensitive right now. Just try to keep it dry, but moisturized.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 3:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• We haven't tried goat's milk, since he is really a little young to be having milk entirely, but more concerned about trying out cheeses and yogurts that come already in the solid food jars... like Gerber's stage 2 Mac'n'Cheese, etc. We did notice that he spit-up (well, it really seemed like a vomit) after having the milk-based formula. So that with the rash, we moved to soy (but he is mostly breastfed anyway). The potatoes were over Christmas and he didn't have a whole lot, so he didn't spit up or vomit, just the rash from where the potatoes touched his face. The rashes appear exacly where these milk products touch his face... it is weird. We just wipe him down with water and it goes away within the hour. I just want to try out the yogurts and cheeses with him and worried that he may havea mroe severe allergic reaction - any thoughts?
    MamaBear678

Answer by MamaBear678 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I think that Gerber anything ESPCIALLY canned cheese is going to have perservatives in it that could cause a simliiar rash depending on the age and sensitivty of your child. You should, if wanting to try cheeses and yogurts, start with a bag of shredded mozzerella or something... it's a pretty light cheese for them. The potatoes also could have had something else in them, kwim?

Funny story: My youngest was projectile vomitting and we tried EVERYTHING... Changed him to this expensive formula (I supplimented) and I cut off all dairy I was taking in. Turned out it was: My hairspray. Idk how but we narrowed it down that the only time he had done it was when I had worn hairspray. Never wore it again, never had projectile again. He was still sensitive to milk but his was mostly tummy issues as mentioned.
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 4:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• They have goat cheese you could do but I would say with a lil one that age, go as natural and perservative free as possible... My son just turned 8 months and we just started him on any dairy. I guess my best advice would be if that something seems off, just back up and try again later :) Good luck!

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 4:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• ps sorry for my typos :) It got a bit chaotic in here for a moment, lol

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 4:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I wouldn't give a child that young dairy yet. Although many kids with milk sensitivity can still eat yogurt and cheese, it's not worth it if they are having reactions. They can get worse, and cause major stomach problems.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2008