What do I do it my baby seems to not want to breastfeed anymore?

My baby is only 7 months old and seems to not want to breastfeed anymore. He already hates his bottles (with breastmilk while at dayacre) and thus, what do I do to ensure he is getting the nutrition he needs? We only feed him solids/cereal twice a day... should I double this? If he refuses milk via the breast or bottle, then how do I ensure he stays healthy and is eating enough?

MamaBear678

Asked by MamaBear678 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Food & Drink

• How much are you producing? What kind of solids are you giving him? Are you sure he isn't getting anything else at daycare? How long has it been going on? Are you pregnant?

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 4:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I ask about pregnancy because it can cause your milk to taste different and also reduce your supply. I quit nursing my oldest at that age because of that exact reason (supply decreased and he didn't seem interested anymore.) Found out a bit later that we were pregnant with number two :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 4:32 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Try a sippy cup. You can get a starter cup with one hole. I taught my daughter to drink out of a straw which she loves. Also, at 7 months my provider said I could start adding fruits. Monitor his diapers and weight gain and that will reassure you.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Not pregnant... been going on and getting worse for about 3 weeks or so. Daycare doesn't give him anything more than I do... and probably feeds him less than I do. When he is home, he gets nursed about every 2 hours on average. When I pump (at work, etc.), I get about 3-4 oz. a breast per pump session... so I think the baby is getting at least that... no less than 2 oz. per breast per nurse. Then I feed him a jar of fruit with a Tbsp of oatmeal in the morning and a jar of veggies with a tbsp of rice cereal in evenings. He gobbles up the food and stares at us when we eat. I think he wants to eat more... nurse less. At daycare, he gets half a jar of fruit with oatmeal and the rest is bottles of breastmilk, about 3 bottles at 2-3 oz. a piece - not much. Bottles are 4 oz. but he will not finish one. He also weighs 19 lbs. if that matters.
    MamaBear678

Answer by MamaBear678 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Okay: Nursing sounds great!! I am a sahm and my son doesn't nurse that much :) The tbsp of cereal seems to be a problem. I pour enough cereal into a jar of food (well put it in a bowl to make room lol) to make it thick and lumpy. It teaches them to chew also to add more. He is probably wanting more thick stuff :) Maybe even start him on Cheeriosif you think he is ready for the chewing.  One more thing:  They tend to plateau on the growing for a bit around this age.  They grow in spurts but mine seemed to just kinda hang out for a while at 18lbs.  A month or so later and he started shooting up again in weight and appetite.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 6:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Mine didnt want to except at night when she was 6 months old. Put your milk in a sippy cup.
    kenziesmom2006

Answer by kenziesmom2006 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I was going to suggest a sippy cup with little handles so it is easy for him to grap. Also though, what have you changed in your diet? Have you started drinking coffee when you had not before, a new food, or junk food maybe like fried foods? This sometimes may cause them to eat less. My oldest for the 2 yrs he nursed would only drink about an ounce or two at a time. He is getting the nutrition he needs. 7 months and 9 months are new developmental stages and so he just may NOT be going through a growth spirt right now and need less. Watch out though when he does go back into one cause he will be more hungry and sleep more. keep the nursing going. I bet its just all the new stuff going on.:)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• He may have an ear infection or be teething. Ear infections make it painful to swallow, and he may just not think it's worth the pain to eat.
    If you are not sure, (I'm not a doctor, but I have done this) give him a dose of Motrin and see if he seems better in 30 minutes. If that helps, take him to the doctor, an ear infection is likely.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008