Is it Chicken Pox? Or should I take him to the ER?

Okay so my 16 month old son has been sick recently and he has had a fever for a few days. I thought it was because he is teething and breaking his molars through. Well when he woke up this morning he had little red bumps all over his forehead. Since this morning they have gotten worse. There are more and it seems like he is starting to slowly get more on his face. Not only that he went from having 2 bowel movements a day to having 5-6 of them. They aren't like his regular one's either. And having that he has a diaper rash. Which I have managed to keep under control. If it gets worse over night I am definitly going to take him in. But in the mean time I just need some advise to ease my mind. Also he doesn't act like its bothering him much. I think its chicken pox but then again the rest of his symptoms dont add up!

kimberlieparks

Asked by kimberlieparks at 3:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Health

• It sounds like chicken pox to me. When my son had them (he is only 13 months btw and he survived just fine, so dont worry too much) he had a fever and diarrhea along with it. Keep an eye on his tummy and his back as those are other places that they will show up quickly. Chicken pox go from a regular red bump, to a pimple like bump with a liquidyish center, to a kinf of crusty bump before they go away, so also watch for that type of progression. Unless there is extremely high fever there is no need to rush to the ER right away. I would wait and call your pedi and talk to the nurse tomorow. She will probably have you bring him in, but that will save you from an unencesary er visit and alot less poking and prodding on your son that may not be necesary. If you have calamine lotion use that to make him more comfortable. Good luck honey.

Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 5:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• i would take him in, even if they are just chicken po, at such a young age they are more dangerous to them
    Anonymous

• Could just be a fever rash.
    But I'd take him in anyway, chicken pox for a baby that young can be very dangerous.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• sounds like strep to me. Chicken pox usually shows up first on the belly, under the arms and such. Strep often presents with a rash, I would get him to the doc. In the mean time, tylenol and motrin for fever and pain. Yogurt is really good to kill the bacteria that causes strep. Good luck.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 3:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• the Yogurt will also help with the diaper rash. Keep corn starch (yes the one you use to cook with) on his bottom, that will help keep it dry.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 4:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HgbNIYFSpyA/SF-mdakEnhI/AAAAAAAAB-k/gwlmL7KDe8E/100_0019.jpg

This is a pic of a little girl with a rash from strep, is that what your little boys looks like?
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 4:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• No he doesn't look like that at all. The bumps actually are a darker red and look like they are forming a bubble
    kimberlieparks

Answer by kimberlieparks at 4:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Do a google search on Scarlitina, that is the rash that is associated with strep. It usually presents much darker then in the pic I sent you.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 4:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Scarlett fever can cause a rash, and I've heard of a lot of kids getting that lately. I'd take him to the ER or atleast call the on call ped.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• No Its Not like that! Its not cluttered like that He has a total of 28 spots. They are simular to pimples but they aren't pimples.
    kimberlieparks

Answer by kimberlieparks at 4:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2008