How do you developmentally engage your 9 month old?

I have the day alone with my little babygirl, and I wanted some ideas on how to engage her mind, because she's just learning.

She can crawl, say duck, baba, quack, and I want to teach her anything she can learn at this stage.

IDEAS?

averillholistix

Asked by averillholistix at 4:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did sign language with Mikey and he still uses some of the signs today (although I don't think he realizes it). It's really good to learn.

Fun things to do today for you...
    -Put her in the bath and let her go crazy with shaving cream. They have so much fun rubbing it on their bodies and the walls. (Plus it is easy clean up)
    -Get down on her level. Crawl around and play tag, peek-a-boo, find the doll/stuffed animal, etc.
    -Read to her. Take her around the house (in and out) and point out everything to her. It's a great way to teach her new words. Sing songs and put on some music. 9 month olds dancing are adorable!
    - Grab a couple of containers and put different items in each and let her shake them. She will notice the difference and let you know which sound is her favorite. Also, take out pots and wooden spoons, flip them over and make music!
    Have fun with Lily today!!
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 5:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Awesome!
    That's a good idea. I have a sign language video, I'll just do that with her.
    I also did the peek-a-boo thing with her, she seems to like that....

Is there anything else I could do?
    averillholistix

Answer by averillholistix at 4:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Thank you! That's another great idea. I've since worn her out and she's napping, but I want to still find more...

I think the hiding ideas under blankets idea... and teaching her animal noises. I used to get emails from Babycenter with my first one...

I seem to be having more fun with less worry with the second one. I have to be honest; I didn't really know how to 'play' with my little one so that she benefitted from it; call it performance anxiety or whatever hehe.

Can we keep those ideas coming, ladies? I need all the input I can get. Thanks!
    averillholistix

Answer by averillholistix at 5:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My DD is eight months old and we work with her signing too... she has picked up two signs, but understands tons of them! We talk about shapes, and colors. Pratice walking. Read Read Read. We listen to music and dance. Sing ABC's do the itsy bitsy spider. Play with bubbles!
    BabyDio

Answer by BabyDio at 5:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My mother gave my daughter a dvd set called "Your baby can read". We have been doing it for about a month and I can tell shes learning to read already. Its great.
    kmstanfo

Answer by kmstanfo at 8:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2008