Anyone else TTC w/ PCOS given Metformin?

I went to a new doctor today explaining to her that my previous doctor had diagnosed me with PCOS and my husband and I have been trying to conceive for about a year now with no success. She mentioned maybe prescribing me Clomid at a later time but wanted me to go on Metformin for a month and see how that does for regulating my periods and ovulation. I was just wondering if anyone else had, had a similar experience? also How long does Metformin usually take to start regulating your cycle? Also how long do doctors usually keep you on it with no luck conceiving before moving on to something else like Clomid??

JeccaBug

Asked by JeccaBug at 10:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• you might want to make sure on that name b/c my dad and a few family members take that for diabetes.
    PRAmy222

Answer by PRAmy222 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• That's the right name. I don't take it, I know others that do. It is Metformin, but I have no idea how long it takes to work. Sorry I am no help, I just wanted to reinforce that you do have the right name. :)
    hopingfor5

Answer by hopingfor5 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Yeah, it's primary use is a diabetes medication but it's also used in women with PCOS to help control their insulin resitance that goes along with PCOS.
    Anonymous

• my doctor put me on metformin and it worked for us. It took aboutv6 months to conceive. YOu need to make sure they prescribe you a high enough dose. The doctor I had before this one only had me on 500mg a day . I took that for a year and nothing happened. The new doc put me on 1500mg, 500mg 3 times a day and that worked.
    shannona9706

Answer by shannona9706 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I was on metformin for my PCOS. I started it in 06 (had a period 8 months straight, got a D&C done, then started it). I started having regular periods pretty fast. We had been trying to conceive for four years and once I started the metformin I started losing weight, had reg periods, and after a few months got pregnant. I stopped taking it in my second trimester. They say to keep taking it during your first trimester to less the chance of miscarriage.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 11:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• That drug was made for diabetes but they also prescribe it to women that have PCOS. I too have PCOS and was prescribed it while trying to conceive in 2004/05. I'm sorry to tell you that it never regulated my periods. My dr.s ended up taking me off of it because it was causing problems with my stomach. We tried for 5 years and finally ended up doing IVF and that worked! Clomid did absolutely nothing for us but I know women that had multiples with it so either way make sure and be monitored on it. Good luck!
    samboswife

Answer by samboswife at 3:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My diabetes Dr told me to come off Metformin RIGHT AWAY when i did become pregnant which totally negates what my OB GYN said. (She said to stay on it for 12 weeks to avoid miscarriage). I came off it right away with my first child but now that I'm preg again I'm still nervous to stop taking it since my Dr's disagree. HELP? Anyone stop taking it when they got preg?
    slipknot

Answer by slipknot at 5:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2008

• My RE put me on Metformin 2 daily, Provera to bring on AF, and then Femara (works better then clomid for pcos) cd 5-9. I concieved the first cycle.. after trying 3 years with no luck. Unfortunatly the pregnancy ended at 6 weeks.. but Trying agian this month!
    Oksana22

Answer by Oksana22 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I am going through the exact same thing but i am taking metformin and clomid and provera for af...msg me , we can be friends and share ideas and experiences! my screenname is iloveccjr.
    iloveccjr

Answer by iloveccjr at 1:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I have been on Metformin for 3 weeks and just started my period...on my own! I am so excited! I have been taking provera for the last few cycles to get me going but evidently the met is starting to work. The only problems is the GI disturbances but it is getting better. I took Metformin when ttc my son and after 3-4 cycles I became pregnant. I am hoping it work work the same again.
    dillibarsmommy

Answer by dillibarsmommy at 8:27 PM on Aug. 22, 2009