• In the Spotlight:

Do you require respect from your Teen?

I know it is normal for teens to roll their eyes and mouth off but in all truths I do not tolerate it. I have seen and watched many times parents allowing teens to get away with disrespectful verbal talk from teens. For example, when I asked my teen to play a certain game for the inlaws (her grandparents) she got snippy with me (just chill out MOM!!!!) immediately I stood up and told her "You will not disrespect me in my home or anywhere ever". Of course the eye rolling comes and whatever, I do not allow this either. So my question is, do you or do you not allow your teens to be disrespectful, if you do why? If you don't what do you do?

TheFriskyKitty

Asked by TheFriskyKitty at 4:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Do I require respect from my teens? Of course. I can count on one hand the times they have been mouthy (they are ages 16 and 18) and I stopped them right there. I corrected them, made them apologize and restate their opinion without being rude. It works.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I do require my teens to have respect however I also understand based on my studies that teens and rebellion go hand in hand and its a natural reaction to wanting to find who they are, as seperate people from us, their parents. I tolerate some things, but they know at the end of the day I am mom and they wont treat me like crap. I was a single mom awhile so the relationship I have with my teens might be different then other moms who werent mom and dad at the same time. I think thats why I dont have as many issues with mine.

Answer by gemgem at 4:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I liked Southern's answer, making them restate their comments and apologize for being rude or mouthy, I will have to try that! Never thought of it (that was kina simple too LOL)
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 4:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2008