Potty Training Please HELP!!

My daughter is 2 1/2 yrs old and she is having a hard time going on the potty. I have tried everything I can come up with. Giving her treats. Putting her in panties(which she will pee and then just say sorry I'm wet) She knows that she is doing it. I have caught her and she tells me exactly what she is doing (peeing or pooping). I have tried the sticker chart. She just does not care. What should I do I hate buying training pant they cost so much and would love for her to go on the big potty.

Babybrew

Asked by Babybrew at 11:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was in the same boat my son didn't completely potty train till he was 3yrs and 3mos. but you know what he didnt when he was ready I had given up and out of no where he just started doing it. All kids are different and I think when she is ready she will be like him and just do it on her own. Good Luck
    PRAmy222

Answer by PRAmy222 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I agree with PRAmy222. Kids will do it when they are ready. I tried with my son when he was 2 and he did exactly what your daughter is doing now. So we stopped as much as I didn't want to and waited till we moved and settled into our new place. At 2 1/2 it just came really natural to him. I guess he was ready. If you aren't ready to give up just yet I was wondering if you have tried getting her a potty book? How long/often do you take her potty? And when she does go in the potty make sure and give her tons of positive reinforcement. Good luck!
    samboswife

Answer by samboswife at 3:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I had a really hard time teaching my daughter to go too. I felt like I tried everything and nothing worked, and I gave up for a while. She knew she was supposed to pee in the potty, but she just flat out refused. I think I tried too hard at first, and I stressed her out as well as myself. My second attempt I barely did anything. I got her a movie about potty training, and I would play with her putting teddy bears and dolls on the potty, but I didn't even ask her to sit on it because I was afraid if I pushed her she wouldn't do it. She's stubborn like her mom ;) I put her in panties and made sure the potty was always around. It took her about a week. It was a tough week for me, lots of wet underwear not to mention the carpet stains. I had to steam clean it when all was done, but it was worth it because aside from the cleaning it was a stress free week. Whatever method you try just try to be as laid back about it as possible, thats my advice.
    LaBellaDonna

Answer by LaBellaDonna at 3:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Try some real frilly, lacy big girl panties, but she can only wear them if she's going to be a big girl and tell you. It worked for me. I agree with most, she has to be ready.
    s.c.a.r.l.e.t.

Answer by s.c.a.r.l.e.t. at 9:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• my son is one and a half and he's going potty i just let him sit in his wet pullup for about a hour and he didnt like it all so if he doesnt want his bottom to sting and burn he will go to the bathroom you may have to wait longer that an hour and explain to your child that big kids go to the bathroom and not on them selves it worked for my son and a combination of other things as well
    buddababby

Answer by buddababby at 12:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Find her hot button. Every kid has a trigger that will excite them about potty training. It's not always going to be the chance to wear "big kid underwear" or sticker rewards. For both my kids the big draw was preschool. Once we toured the school, they were excited about the idea of attending in following school year. Then we dropped the news on them - they could not attend if they were still in diapers. My daughter was trained the following day. My son within days. BUT, that's not a motivating factor for all kids. Find what *IS* going to make her jump and offer it up. (Oh, both of mine loved making phone calls to announce their feats too. LOL! We called Dad at work and the grandparents until using the bathroom become "mundane" to the kids. LOL!)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My son just turned 3 last wknd.He's finally potty trained.We started potty training at 18 mths.We thought he was ready. Wrong.Get use to accidents for awhile. Rewards and praises are great (we did it and still do), but punishments help too. That's when things really got better.We wouldn't let him watch his favorite show, have his favorite treat, or ride his bike on days he wet his pants.It was sad, but not harmful to him.Also, he's really excited about going to preschool in September, so I told him that the teachers prefer him to be potty trained before he enters school.This means you have to pee in the toilet and not in your underwear. I remind him that his dad and brothers pee in the toilet because they're big boys and don't like yucky wet underwear. It seems like right after we started this, he started taking pride in peeing in the toilet like a big boy.He is finally potty trained with the occassional bedtime accident.Good luck!
    callico

Answer by callico at 12:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2008