How do you teach shapes and colors?

At what age did you lo learn shapes and colors ,how long did it take,and how did you do it?

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 5:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have been working with our daughters since they were one. Our oldest will be three in 4 weeks and she knows shapes and colors.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 5:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My daughter pretty much had them down by 18 months. She knew all the basic colors as well as circle, triangle, rectangle, square, and octagon-and other simple ones like diamond etc... I bought wooden puzzles at Wal Mart. The baby v-smile may work-but it is much more expensive.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I always taught mine using flash cards and repetition. My youngest is almost 4 and she also has a V-Smile which can come in handy too. I still use flashcards with her and also get activity books that have shapes, numbers etc in them. She knows all her colors, shapes, and can count to 30 and can read some. Like I said, doing things over and over and memorization is the best way.

Answer by gemgem at 6:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You can start teaching colors from the moment they are born -- hey lets wear our blue outfit today, see the green grass, which gummy bear do you want? Same with numbers -- how many do you want, lets count the... For shapes -- I had shape puzzles and we talked about the diff shapes also in the world around us when we are drawing pictures.
    Most learning (and the one that sticks the best) is the ones we don't even know, and it sticks the best b/c it has more connections in our brains.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Label, label, label...everything! They pick it up just from that.

My 2 year old is having color issues....he can't get them straight it seems. LOL Shapes...he's obsessed! He has us draw them on his doodle pad and carries it around reciting the shapes on it....circle, triangle, rectangle, square, oval, diamond, heart, star, pentagon, hexagon, octagon, trapazoid, parallelagram....it's nuts!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I work with my two year old and describe what he is playing with. He has caught on. So the teaching is part of his play. For example: Look at that green truck you are playing with. Wow this is a big green truck and that is your little blue truck. Pretty much I just am descriptive about the colors of his toys and clothes each morning. He has it down pat. I do the same for the shapes. "This is a blue round ball, a ball is a circle." Or "This is a triangle pancake Mama made for you." I point out shapes as I see them - but I do it naturally as it presents itself. A young child will pick up on it. In no time my little guy was saying, "Look Mama! This is a blue balloon and it is an oval." For some children it just takes repetition and making it fun. A thousand times later and they will get it.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• We have worked with our kids since they turned 2. The oldest 3 all knew their colors and shapes by the time they were 3
    mommy51425

Answer by mommy51425 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I made charts and put them on the fridge. I did an alphabet chart, a color chart, and a shapes chart and I would take them down every day and work with Tyler on them.
    mysonismyjoy

Answer by mysonismyjoy at 9:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I started working with my daughter when she started talking. She is now 4 years old. She knows her shapes, colors, the alphabet, she can count, she writesher name and some words and sentences. I have another child, but he hasen't started talking yet. The more you work with them the more they'll learn. I made games. I drew pictures. I buy the activity books. My daughter loves them.
    angie108

Answer by angie108 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I did a color and shape of the day. We looked for other things that were blue, played with blue paint, playdoh, or crayons. We looked for squares on packages at the store, in everyday things around the office, I drew them with crayons, we used cookie cutters in that shape with the playdoh. I did the same thing with the letters and numbers.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2008